Chamber Music Prom 2: Monday 25th July at 1.00 p.m. (Judith Bliss & Elias Quartet)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chamber Music Prom 2: Monday 25th July at 1.00 p.m. (Judith Bliss & Elias Quartet)

Presented by Catherine Bott

The second of this year's Proms Chamber Music concerts features old and new. Radio 3 New Generation Artists the Elias Quartet play Purcell, Brahms, and the world premiere of a new Celtic-inspired work by Sally Beamish, and are joined by clarinetist Julian Bliss for Brahms's glowing, autumnal quintet.

Purcell: Fantasia No. 6 in F major

Purcell: Fantasia No. 7 in C minor

Sally Beamish: Reed Stanzas (String Quartet No. 3) BBC Commission, World Premiere

Brahms: Clarinet Quintet in B minor

Julian Bliss (clarinet)
    Elias Quartet

Julian Bliss (clarinet)
    Oh good. He is still Julian

Thank you for reminding this prom. I am looking forward to it. I was thinking about Julian Bliss while reading about and listening to Benjamin G.

Comment

Judging by the popularity of the "Judith" Bliss chamber prom thread, I don't suppose many will be bothered that today's repeat has been butchered because of the over running of the Horrible prom. Yes, I know it's on iplayer etc. Anyway, I'm thoroughly enjoying the Brahms. But it is interesting how the preoccupations and enthusiasms of fellow message boarders revolve around gargantuism...The Gothic, 157 replies at time of writing....Mahler 9, 102 replies...this prom, errr 2.

Comment

It's probably a question of Upstairs, Downstairs, and In My Lady's Chamber.

S-A

Comment

Very true, but the Gargantuum Proms are performed at a time when the working population is more likely to be at home and able to listen on Radio 3.
          1.00 p.m. on a Monday is quite different.

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
            Judging by the popularity of the "Judith" Bliss chamber prom thread, I don't suppose many will be bothered that today's repeat has been butchered.....
            Actually, I was hoping to listen to Sally Beamish's new quartet one more time (had given it 2 listens), but the original iPlayer archived broadcast from last Monday had been taken down, to be replaced by the truncated later re-broadcast, with just the Brahms, so you can count me among the very few "bothered" there.

The new Beamish work seemed to go down rather well with the audience, judging by their reaction over the radio. It's certainly gentler and less "forbidding" than what people come to expect from "modern music", and has a certain kind of 'will o'the wisp' quality, fitting given the work's title. The Purcell did make a good "appetiser" for the Beamish, and Julian Bliss was terrific in the Brahms, as was the Elias Quartet throughout. Very nicely done all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
              Actually, I was hoping to listen to Sally Beamish's new quartet one more time (had given it 2 listens), but the original iPlayer archived broadcast from last Monday had been taken down, to be replaced by the truncated later re-broadcast, with just the Brahms, so you can count me among the very few "bothered" there.

The new Beamish work seemed to go down rather well with the audience, judging by their reaction over the radio.
              I forgot to add my own comment, simply that listening in the car I enjoyed the new work very much.

Comment

Working...
              X