Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
    It's basically a valved contrabass trombone, so it's not really surprising that's what it sounds like! I have, I think, seen it argued that Verdi would actually have expected valve trombones in general, would certainly make some of the Dies Irae passages easier to play
    Yes. It's well documented (rather than argued) that when Verdi conducted the Requiem he had valve trombones - and they were the norm in Italy at the time.

Incidentally, it's amusing to note that Verdi's performances usually included an interval after the Dies Irae, and often also included encores (!)

Comment

Interesting interview with Calleja on R4's Front Row this evening.

Comment

For those interested:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

bluestateprommer,
          Thank you so much for putting this Verdi Requiem on the board. I have just listened/watched this perfomace again. I have witnessed wonderful live performances conducted by Giulini, Abbado, Jiri Kout, Colin Davis, Mario Rossi, Georg Solti and others, as well as several duffers. I have sung (in choirs) in about a dozen performances but the more I think about this performance I think it really is up with Giulini and the greatest I have ever experienced. I was so glad I went. The silence at the end said it all. When Calleja sang the Hostias everyone in the orchestra was in tears.
          Many thanks
          Chris.

Comment

Just listening now. One of those occasions when everyone seems to have caught fire. Agree about Calleja's singing. And some very fine playing by the BBCSO too.

Comment

Working...
            X