Prom 29: Friday 5th August at 7.30. p.m. (Mahler 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jane Sullivan View Post
    How many recordings of the third movement of Berio's Sinfonia do you have?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Jane's avatar reminds me of the budgerigar we had when I was a child. He would sing happily with most music, but whenever Mahler's music was on the radio, he would go wild with excitment. My mother said, jokingly, that he must have been Mahler reincarnated. From then on, he was renamed "Gustav".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Jane's avatar reminds me of the budgerigar we had when I was a child. He would sing happily with most music, but whenever Mahler's music was on the radio, he would go wild with excitment. My mother said, jokingly, that he must have been Mahler reincarnated. From then on, he was renamed "Gustav".
        Not Cage?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Comment

• StephenO

How many recordings of the third movement of Berio's Sinfonia do you have?
            I knew there was a gap in my CD collection!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
              I knew there was a gap in my CD collection!
              I have the original CBS recording of the NYP and Swingle Singers under Berio - at around 30 minutes one of the shortest LPs in my collection. I also have the later, more "considered" Boulez version on cassette somewhere, with the additional 4th movement, which I consider the greatest compositional mistake Berio ever made. The original from 1968 or 9 captures the full impact of the time the composer penned it.

S-A

Comment

• johnb
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                Call me hyper-sensitive to possible nuances but I'm surprised that a Host posted that.

Comment

• BudgieJane

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I have the original CBS recording of the NYP and Swingle Singers under Berio - at around 30 minutes one of the shortest LPs in my collection. I also have the later, more "considered" Boulez version on cassette somewhere, with the additional 4th movement, which I consider the greatest compositional mistake Berio ever made. The original from 1968 or 9 captures the full impact of the time the composer penned it.

S-A
                  Have you got this right? I thought the original was in four movements, and the additional movement was the fifth.

Comment

• BudgieJane

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
                    Is 131 replies a record for a thread concerning a specific performance of a solitary piece of music?

Does this reflect the (still) growing popularity of Mahler?
                    This thread has wandered off-topic (mea culpa) a couple of times along the way, so that 131 should be a bit lower.

Alternatively, by wandering a bit more off-topic, I'm sure we can make this a record-breaking thread <At this point the List owner shudders, says "Oh no!" and threatens to ban everybody making off-topic postings>

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Have you got this right? I thought the original was in four movements, and the additional movement was the fifth.
                      Jane, you are of course quite right. Tsch!

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                        • Jul 2011

My first prom, in August 1984, included the Berio Sinfonia (plus two Birtwistle works and the Bartok Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion); my second, later that month, was the Ozawa / Boston SO Resurrection mentioned above with Jessye Norman. I queued from about 10am that morning and was rewarded with a place at the front of the arena.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
                          My first prom, in August 1984, included the Berio Sinfonia (plus two Birtwistle works and the Bartok Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion); my second, later that month, was the Ozawa / Boston SO Resurrection mentioned above with Jessye Norman. I queued from about 10am that morning and was rewarded with a place at the front of the arena.
                          Phew! That must have been quite a Prom, Roslynmuse!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                            Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Call me hyper-sensitive to possible nuances but I'm surprised that a Host posted that.
                            Call me naive, but all such suggestions go over my head. But it's a true story.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                              I tend to be alert to nuances, I think, but the reason for your surprise eludes me so completely that I'd love you to explain, johnb! Feel free to send a private if necessary!
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Phew! That must have been quite a Prom, Roslynmuse!
                                Both were! I had got to know Mahler 2 having taken part in a performance (as a very amateur 2nd violin) some months before and was obsessed with the piece. Getting to know the Berio had been a consequence of that obsession, and very rewarding it was (and still is). Ozawa's reading wasn't quite what I was expecting or hoping for, but the effect of the ending of the work was unforgettable - the choral sound in particular. I remember it being an incredibly hot evening, but it might well also have been the crush of bodies.

Comment

Working...
                                X