Prom 44: Wednesday 17th August at 7.30 p.m. (Russian Music)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 44: Wednesday 17th August at 7.30 p.m. (Russian Music)

An all-Russian programme, beginning with a four-movement suite taken from the first ballet score that Shostakovich wrote - The Age of Gold. The ballet itself was a failure - unlike the other dance work represented in this evening's concert, Petrushka. It is one of the great 20th-century ballets and its story of a puppet who comes to life elicited a colourful, masterly and hugely influential score from the young Stravinsky. The final music on the programme is by one of Stravinsky's heroes, Tchaikovsky. His special brand of passion, energy and lyricism is a perfect match for the story of Francesca da Rimini - the heroine of a murderous tale from Dante's Divine Comedy.

The relationship between London's Philharmonia Orchestra and Principal Conductor and Artistic Director Esa-Pekka Salonen has deepened and matured in the three seasons that they've been together. They bring the fruits of this relationship to the Proms, including Shostakovich's 1st Violin Concerto with former Radio 3 New Generation Artist Lisa Batiashvili as soloist.

Shostakovich: The Age of Gold - Suite
    Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No. 1 in A minor
    Stravinsky: Petrushka (1947 version)
    Tchaikovsky: Francesca da Rimini

Lisa Batiashvili (violin)
    Philharmonic Orchestra
    Esa-Pekka Salonen (conductor)

Shostakovich fans please note: the Proms 2011 Shostakovich mini-festival begins with this concert

And also ends, with this concert.

Comment

Yes, but at least there is a Shost mini-fest. Where's the Haydn? Where's the Schoenberg? I could go on.....

I'll be there, but I'll be off at the interval: can't stand Petrushka and should make it home in time to listen to F da R.

Comment

Wasn't the Age of Gold performed at last year's Proms? A great piece, mind...

Comment

The Age of Gold was a very early 78 record purchase for me. Forget the orchestra butit had a very uninhibited 'raspberry' in the appointed place. If only I'd kept my 78 records, I would be able to play them on my newish turntable. Never throw things away, not music anyway.

Comment

You're welcome to all my Dad's 78S, for nowt, saly.

Comment

That's really nice of you S_A but I can hardly move for piles of records and cassettes, plus CDs waiting to be'housed'.

I just wish I'd kept the Age of Gold, some Falla [El Amor Brujo] played by Artur Rubinstein and V de los Angeles singing some Spanish folk songs. NOT the 7 popular Spanish songs but titles like 'El Majo Discreto',
              Din Dan Boleran'and El Majo Dolerosa'. [sp?] no-one seems to know them but she sang them as encores when I heard her at the RFH. She was wonderful IMHO Sorry, off topic, back to Russia

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                That's really nice of you S_A but I can hardly move for piles of records and cassettes, plus CDs waiting to be'housed'.

I just wish I'd kept the Age of Gold, some Falla [El Amor Brujo] played by Artur Rubinstein and V de los Angeles singing some Spanish folk songs. NOT the 7 popular Spanish songs but titles like 'El Majo Discreto',
                Din Dan Boleran'and El Majo Dolerosa'. [sp?] no-one seems to know them but she sang them as encores when I heard her at the RFH. She was wonderful IMHO Sorry, off topic, back to Russia
                OK, mustn't hijack this thread - been doing a lot of that today! - but we're still in Russia when I mention that Dad had sets of Rachmaninov performing his own piano concertos nos. 2 & 3. Many years later - bereft like your good self of the equipment necessary for playing them - he persuaded me to obtain for him a CD of those recordings - which I duly ordered up in the friendly little record shop in the town where we lived. It arrived - an unexpectedly large package - and the shop owner asked me to hand over... £80!!!!! "Oh, I'm afraid I wasn't expecting it to be that much!" I told her. On examination, the package consisted of Rachmaninov's performances of his entire piano output! The nice lady dolefully said she'd have to return it, and didn't expect to be reimbursed. A few weeks later I passed the shop... and it had closed down! I felt awful!

Comment

I expect it took a lot more than that to close her down S_A. After all she did mess up your order rather.

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                    I expect it took a lot more than that to close her down S_A. After all she did mess up your order rather.
                    I guess you're right, saly. They were such a sweet couple ran that shop though - late 50s, he tweedy; she always in Laura Ashley...

Comment

The 1947 version.

Comment

Originally posted by prokkyshosty View Post
                        Shostakovich fans please note: the Proms 2011 Shostakovich mini-festival begins with this concert

And also ends, with this concert.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I'm looking forward to being there for this, but If they must play the 1947 version of Petrushka I'm praying that it doesn't include Stravinsky's tacked on cheerful ending. The last four notes of the original are one of music's great moments.

Comment

If I had known about this, much to my dismay, I would quite willingly stand for this one, although, I think there are seats available still!
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

That was some performance of the Shostakovich VC1 with a typically good timpani contribution (Andrew Smith?)
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X