Prom 47: Friday 19th August at 7.00 p.m. (Brahms/Haitink 1)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 47: Friday 19th August at 7.00 p.m. (Brahms/Haitink 1)

The Chamber Orchestra of Europe celebrates its 30th anniversary this year, and in tonight's Prom, with the conductor Bernard Haitink, focuses on the expressive musical world of Brahms.

The Third Symphony is generally upbeat, but the energy of the final movement floats away to a quiet and elusive end. The First Piano Concerto is bound up with Brahms's intense friendship with Robert Schumann and his wife Clara, and his sense of loss at Schumann's tragic downward spiral into madness. Emanuel Ax is the soloist, a pianist renowned for his sensitive interpretations, and he rejoins the orchestra for more Brahms tomorrow.

Haitink, a distinguished interpreter of Brahms, admires the COE's ability to play together like chamber musicians.

Brahms: Symphony No. 3 in F major
    Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 1 in D minor

Emanuel Ax (piano)
    Chamber Orchestra of Europe
    Bernard Haitink (conductor)

It was Haitink's Brahms 1st Piano Concerto (with Clifford Curzon) that first alerted me to the greatness of the composer. He were "no'-but-a-lad" in those days.

Comment

I loved almost every moment of it, and the Ax/Haitink combination in the concerto was quite glorious. The symphony had a lovely, intimate, reflective quality - not so much to do with the slightly smaller-than-usual forces but with Haitink's conception of the piece. As for the D minor Concerto, Ax never ceases to amaze me: what a stupendous musician who also has the fingers to match his musical intelligence, and Haitink fired things up very well. Terrific. I can't wait for tomorrow night.

Comment

What was the encore?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Biazeck View Post
          What was the encore?
          If there was one, we didn't get it on the telly. Was it broadcast on the radio?

Comment

A friend was there and wanted to know - not sure about the radio - I'll have to listen now! I'd be surprised if they didn't. I loved the sound and of course Haitink is a legend. My friend said the orchestra was a bit lost in the hall - two basses struggling a little - but admits he has a thing about small forces in the RAH!

Comment

That's interesting - the radio/tv seems to be able to get around that problem pretty well (at least on a good night) but I can see how things might have got a bit lost in the outer reaches of the hall. I loved the sound too - at least the BBC4 version of same. (And now I need to go listen to radio version to see what the encore was...!)

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                That's interesting - the radio/tv seems to be able to get around that problem pretty well (at least on a good night) but I can see how things might have got a bit lost in the outer reaches of the hall. I loved the sound too - at least the BBC4 version of same. (And now I need to go listen to radio version to see what the encore was...!)
                There was no encore heard on radio either, they cut away to play some more Brahms.

Comment

There was no encore heard on radio either, they cut away to play some more Brahms.
                  Why? The next programme wasn't due until 21:15, and I was out of the RAH after the encore before then. Sorry, I don't know what the encore was.

A great concert tonight. Wonderful clarity from the smaller orchestra, and the delight of hearing familiar music played so freshly and with "natural" pace and rhythm, with Emanuel Ax blending perfectly with the orchestra.

I was in block M Side Stalls, so quite near the platform, and I didn't notice any problems with the orchestra sound. Maybe it was different further away. There were 4 basses, by the way, not 2.

Comment

I envy you being there, Richard J. - I thought it was a marvellous concert, and fortunately it all (minus the mystery encore) came over pretty well on BBC Four.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Biazeck View Post
                      What was the encore?
                      It was the first of Schumann's Fantasiestucke Op. 12 'Des abends' and played beautifully.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                        It was the first of Schumann's Fantasiestucke Op. 12 'Des abends' and played beautifully.
                        Since when did R3 start using its discretion to pull the plug on encores? They had plenty of time in hand.

Not impressed.

Comment

I don't know if they broadcast tonight's pre-Prom talk, but it was definitely one of the best I've heard this season. Pianist and musicologist Kenneth Hamilton was absolutely phenomenal: as he took us through a bit of music theory on the piano, his enthusiasm and love for his subject was all over his face. What a joy to hear!

I thought it was worth noting that Tom Service and his guests discussed a stereotype of Brahms as being dull, heavy, brown, and "this old bearded figure". I found it surprising to remember some people view him this way--because whenever I get a mental image of Brahms, I always picture him as being young, earnest, and full of passion, like this:

That's the Brahms I like to see...and that's definitely the Brahms I heard in the performance tonight. Absolutely enthralling.

Comment

Originally posted by cavatina View Post
                            whenever I get a mental image of Brahms, I always picture him as being young, earnest, and full of passion
                            I agree.

Comment

glorious concert, thought the CoE were magnificent

CoE, Calum!

and a pleasure to see Prof Saxon ... could have done with giving him a little more time instead of taking up the players break time .... the rehearsal interviews were sufficient ... the corridor intrusions strike me as most awkward and ill judged ..

i am looking forward to the next instalment tonight!
                              Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 20-08-11, 12:15. Reason: errors second thoughts etc...
                              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                              X