Prom 59: Monday 29th August 2011 (Hooray for Hollywood)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 59: Monday 29th August 2011 (Hooray for Hollywood)

John Wilson and his Orchestra are joined by starry soloists and the Maida Vale Singers to celebrate the Golden Age of Hollywood film Musicals, from the earliest days through to the 1960s.

Back in the mid 20th century the Hollywood studios attracted the best composers, lyricists and orchestrators to write for their stars. The results are what John Wilson calls "miniature works of art" which were played by orchestras composed of virtuoso players. Matching that, the John Wilson Orchestra is made up of the cream of Britain's orchestral musicians who have wowed Proms audiences with the passion and sheer vivacity of their playing. They perform classics from the 1930s onwards, from films starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers including the title numbers from 'Shall We Dance' and 'Top Hat', through the 40s and 50s with numbers from 'Strike up the Band' and 'Guys and Dolls', through to hit musical films from the 60s including 'Gypsy' and 'West Side Story'.

Caroline O'Connor (vocalist)
    Clare Teal (vocalist)
    Annalene Beechey (vocalist)
    Matthew Ford (vocalist)
    Sarah Fox (vocalist)
    Charles Castronovo (vocalist)

The Maida Vale Singers
    The John Wilson Orchestra
    John Wilson (conductor).

Not AGAIN....

Comment

Q. So with the above in mind (all quoted from the BBC Radio 3 website), what is the difference between a singer and a vocalist?

A. A vocalist sings with a throatier voice and with a microphone, often emulating shouting.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        John Wilson and his Orchestra are joined by starry soloists and the Maida Vale Singers to celebrate the Golden Age of Hollywood film Musicals, from the earliest days through to the 1960s.

Back in the mid 20th century the Hollywood studios attracted the best composers, lyricists and orchestrators to write for their stars. The results are what John Wilson calls "miniature works of art" which were played by orchestras composed of virtuoso players. Matching that, the John Wilson Orchestra is made up of the cream of Britain's orchestral musicians who have wowed Proms audiences with the passion and sheer vivacity of their playing. They perform classics from the 1930s onwards, from films starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers including the title numbers from 'Shall We Dance' and 'Top Hat', through the 40s and 50s with numbers from 'Strike up the Band' and 'Guys and Dolls', through to hit musical films from the 60s including 'Gypsy' and 'West Side Story'.
        Now they are really scraping the barrel.

I've given up on this year's Proms. Out of 59 to date, I can only name about five that are memorable for the right reasons.

VH

BTW: Why does this forum keep flicking me back to the top when I am penning a reply to a message - and why are we accorded such a narrow window to input our reply to a message in the first place?

Comment

"BTW: Why does this forum keep flicking me back to the top when I am penning a reply to a message - and why are we accorded such a narrow window to input our reply to a message in the first place? "

You can stretch the window downwards (drag the bottom right hand corner) to make it as tall as you want, VH.

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
            "BTW: Why does this forum keep flicking me back to the top when I am penning a reply to a message - and why are we accorded such a narrow window to input our reply to a message in the first place? "

You can stretch the window downwards (drag the bottom right hand corner) to make it as tall as you want, VH.
            Many thanks for that. I.ve just tried it and it works.

VH

Comment

Originally posted by Ventilhorn View Post
              Now they are really scraping the barrel.

I've given up on this year's Proms. Out of 59 to date, I can only name about five that are memorable for the right reasons.

VH

BTW: Why does this forum keep flicking me back to the top when I am penning a reply to a message - and why are we accorded such a narrow window to input our reply to a message in the first place?
              Out of 74 Proms at the RAH, we have had a couple of family items, and a so called comedy Prom, a tiny proportion of the whole. I happen to enjoy the old film musicals, as do many others. No doubt it will be very professionally done, so please live and let live.

Comment

I saw most of the Fred and Ginger films in one of those big London cinemas, when I was very small. I can't separate their songs from their dancing and have videos of most of them.
                I prefer them that way but enjoy hearing some of the later musicals. Who was it said "There are only two kinds of music, good music and bad music" Most of the musicals are good music of their kind. One Prom a year is not too much dumbing down, surely.

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                  Who was it said "There are only two kinds of music, good music and bad music"
                  Duke Ellington, I believe

Comment

Well I heard it said by Muir Mathieson who should have known the difference. I went to Trinity College of Music with a friend when he gave a fascinating talk on film music and the musicians who played for the silent films. My aunt played the piano in a Bromley cinema and my uncle played the violin. She gave up tolook after the children, he played in orchestras and quartets for the rest of his life. No S_A I don't remember silent films myself.

Comment

to be honest not a concert I would normally be interested in if it were not for the proms and a season ticket !

However the last two concerts have been excellent - one of the highlights last year. Only if all orchestras/conductors showed the same levels of "musicianship" !

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                        One Prom a year is not too much dumbing down, surely.
                        But it isn't just one prom, is it? How many barrel scraping Proms does it take to become "dumbing down"?

2, 4. 8... ?

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          But it isn't just one prom, is it? How many barrel scraping Proms does it take to become "dumbing down"?

2, 4. 8... ?
                          But we get far more Proms concerts these days, with lunchtime Proms at the Cadogan Hall and the late-night Proms at the Albert Hall.

So it's a much bigger barrel to be scraped, in reality

I'm with salymap & Ferret - showtunes, I love 'em

Comment

Why does R.Wright programme more of these "Hollywood musicals concerts" ? Maybe they are just to fill in gaps in the schedule when he can't get "an orchestral prom" on the day. Or maybe for budget reasons,these are "cheap & cheerful"?
                            "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post
                              Why does R.Wright programme more of these "Hollywood musicals concerts" ? Maybe they are just to fill in gaps in the schedule when he can't get "an orchestral prom" on the day. Or maybe for budget reasons,these are "cheap & cheerful"?
                              Certainly not cheap and cheerful, since John Wilson works with a hand picked orchestra with excellent soloists,and he has travelled frequently to the US searching for the original studio scorings to reconstruct the style as closely as possible. You are completely entitled to say that the music is not to your taste, but please don't denigrate professionals who perform it well.

Comment

Working...
                              X