Prom 64: Friday 2nd September at 10.00 p.m. 'Audience Choice'...? Hmm.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
    Are the 300 items on their menu (er, repertoire? Ed) available for scrutiny now?

Anticipating that...

A Hungarian Dance or two
    The Marche Hongroise of Berlioz
    Liszt
    Bartok
    Kodaly

Which pieces of the last three composers would be right for this orchestra and this concert (sorry, gig)?
    Hary Janos seems fantastic enough to suit.

Comment

is this prom trying to tell us something? i.e. that some orchestras are so good they don't need rehearsal time

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        is this prom trying to tell us something? i.e. that some orchestras are so good they don't need rehearsal time
        I would imagine that the items on offer will be pieces that the orchestra have in their repertoire and have played many times. It's not as if the audience will be choosing anything wacky anyway. There will most likely be half a dozen pieces of similar length to vote for. Unless, as Alpen hints at above, the vote is rigged...
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Let's hope that their sightreading is as good as the average British band then, or they might come a cropper ...

I doubt they would even consider any British wierd stuff like Vaughan Williams, or Moeran etc ...

Comment

Well I'm doing a recital this afternoon and as I couldn't decide what to play, I'm asking the audience to choose form a list (but only of what I can play). It can't do any harm.

Comment

... and it was well received.

Comment

... and it was well received.
                congratulations. ................ so what did they choose?

Comment

Oh, the usual stuff: Moonlight Sonata, Fantasie Impromptu, Variations on "Ah Vous Dirais-je. Maman", Clair de Lune, Rachmaninov C sharp minor Prelude, Bach/Hess Jesu Joy. But I made them listen to some of MacDowell's Sea Pieces as well.

Comment

I shall ask for the Marche Hongroise and some Wagner

Comment

Originally posted by prokkyshosty View Post
                      So. Who do we have to sleep with to get some Vaughan Williams on their menu?
                      I'd suggest a roll in the hay with Roger Wright.*

[*Sentences I Thought I'd Never Write, No 25]
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Let's just be thankful that Audience Choice wasn't the title given to last night's Prom...

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          I'd suggest a roll in the hay with Roger Wright.*
                          I don't know... I might end up with more cowpat than I was looking for!

Comment

Well, that was actually good clean fun. I loved the "busking" between items. Catherine Bott took the words out of my mouth. Perhaps it should be tried again. I reckon that with a smaller selection it would make an excellent replacement for the jaded old Last Night of the Proms. What better way to end the season in party mood?

Comment

Yuk! This was all too redolent of the Last Night. No criticisms of the playing, obviously, but such a clunky method for choosing the pieces - couldn't they relay the information in a slightly more efficient way? I did, though, love the Bartok violin duo that mercifully filled one of the gaps.

Comment

And I got the Marche Hongroise... I have to say that the arena was a bit too keen to make them play all Hungarian stuff, and the Stravinsky tango was super boring... Top trumps was the Glinka.

Comment

Working...
                                X