Prom 71: Wednesday 7th September at 10.15 p.m. (Tribute to Stan Kenton)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 71: Wednesday 7th September at 10.15 p.m. (Tribute to Stan Kenton)

Looks interesting - I guess that Claire Martin will dep for June Christy. Will the BBC Big Band do Wagner?

It may turn out to be interesting, but I am left wondering why they chose Stan Kenton as a Jazz subject. I can think of any number of Jazz bands that might be better subjects for a Jazz Prom.

However I hope they perform Peanut Vendor, one of Stan's few memorable pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
      However I hope they perform Peanut Vendor, one of Stan's few memorable pieces.
      Yes indeed! (even I remember it. ) Listen to it here.

Comment

More details from the BBC Website:

A Late Night centenary tribute to the great American band leader Stan Kenton whose orchestra during the late 1940s and early 1950s was the biggest jazz attraction in the world.

Drawing to its ranks the cream of America's soloists and arrangers his famous 'wall of sound' is still hugely influential on the big bands today. The BBC Big Band celebrates his legacy in a programme that includes some of his classical arrangements with special guest vocalist Claire Martin.

Kenton: Artistry in Rhythm (excerpt)
        Sampson (arr. Bill Holman): Stompin' At The Savoy
        Strouse: (arr. Bill Holman): Lot Of Livin' To Do
        Greer (arr. Kenton): All About Ronnie
        Warren (arr. Kenton): Jeepers Creepers
        Johnston (arr Paich): My Old Flame
        Kenton: Concerto To End All Concertos
        Lecuona (arr. Bill Holman): Malaguena
        Burke (arr. Kenton): Black Coffee
        Strayhorn (arr. Niehaus): Daydream
        Richards: Cuban Fire Suite

Claire Martin (vocalist)
        BBC Big Band
        Jiggs Whigham (conductor).

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          More details from the BBC Website:

A Late Night centenary tribute to the great American band leader Stan Kenton whose orchestra during the late 1940s and early 1950s was the biggest jazz attraction in the world.

Drawing to its ranks the cream of America's soloists and arrangers his famous 'wall of sound' is still hugely influential on the big bands today. The BBC Big Band celebrates his legacy in a programme that includes some of his classical arrangements with special guest vocalist Claire Martin.

Kenton: Artistry in Rhythm (excerpt)
          Sampson (arr. Bill Holman): Stompin' At The Savoy
          Strouse: (arr. Bill Holman): Lot Of Livin' To Do
          Greer (arr. Kenton): All About Ronnie
          Warren (arr. Kenton): Jeepers Creepers
          Johnston (arr Paich): My Old Flame
          Kenton: Concerto To End All Concertos
          Lecuona (arr. Bill Holman): Malaguena
          Burke (arr. Kenton): Black Coffee
          Strayhorn (arr. Niehaus): Daydream
          Richards: Cuban Fire Suite

Claire Martin (vocalist)
          BBC Big Band
          Jiggs Whigham (conductor).
          So no Wagner with bongos then, an opportunity missed!

Comment

No Intermission Riff and no Peanut Vendor. At least there's the Cuban Fire Suite so should be plenty of percussion maybe even some bongos!

Comment

I think two threads have been amalgamated with some omissions here - can't see the post I submitted.

Comment

It was probably this one:

Last edited by MarkG; 01-09-11, 20:57. Reason: typo

Comment

The other thread is on the jazz board.

I'm wondering how this will all sound in the RAH.

Comment

No comments at all on this concert yet - on either thread?

Comment

the Cuban Fire Suite by Johnny Richards should be of interest {i think Chas T referenced Mahler rather than Wagner ....]

the chat at half time in the Holst prom quite put me off 71 .... will listen and comment later ...
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

This was a joy from Start to Finish, with the possible exception of Jiggs Whigham's gushing stage announcements. The BBC Big Band equitted themselves beautifully. The are a national treasure and its such a pity that Aunty beeb can't see its way clear to give them more of a regular presence on the air, beyond their Radio 2 show (which seems more and more like a feature for guest singers and not the band.) I'm not Kenton's biggest fan, but this music came alive in a way that it seldom does on the original recordings. And Claire Martin... what a class act. They all were. Terrific stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Strong Scotch View Post
                          This was a joy from Start to Finish, with the possible exception of Jiggs Whigham's gushing stage announcements. The BBC Big Band equitted themselves beautifully. The are a national treasure and its such a pity that Aunty beeb can't see its way clear to give them more of a regular presence on the air, beyond their Radio 2 show (which seems more and more like a feature for guest singers and not the band.) I'm not Kenton's biggest fan, but this music came alive in a way that it seldom does on the original recordings. And Claire Martin... what a class act. They all were. Terrific stuff.
                          Yes indeed. I was directly in front of the bongos and timpani with a good view of the piano-- magical stuff! Claire Martin was in great voice and totally in command, creating the illusion that we were all in an intimate Manhattan jazz club...what a stage presence!

For some reason, I kept wishing I could hear the band play some Kenyon Hopkins instead (go figure!), but they really breathed new life into old standards. Yet another concert I wished lasted all night. Five stars!

Comment

Originally posted by Strong Scotch View Post
                            Great stuff, I agree with all you said SS.

Comment

Working...
                            X