Prom 66: Sunday 4th September at 4.00 p.m. (Escaich, Bach, Reger, Franck, Liszt}

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 66: Sunday 4th September at 4.00 p.m. (Escaich, Bach, Reger, Franck, Liszt}

Making his Prom debut the Parisian organist Thierry Escaich, one of today's most famed exponents of the art of improvisation, demonstrates his skills in a variety of styles on the mighty Albert Hall instrument, and also plays concert works by four great organist-composers from the 18th and 19th centuries. Improvisation has always been part of the organist's musical armoury, and never more so than amongst the great French players of the instrument.

Thierry Escaich: Overture in the Baroque Style (improvisation)
    J. S. Bach: Chorale Prelude 'Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland', BWV 659
    Thierry Escaich: Evocation III (on 'Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland') (UK Premiere)
    Reger: Chorale Prelude 'Jauchz, Erd, und Himmel, juble hell', Op. 67 No. 15
    Franck: Chorale No. 2 in B minor
    Liszt: Adagio in D flat major, S759
    Thierry Escaich: Triptych on Themes by Liszt (improvisation)

Thierry Escaich (organ).

Beginning soon...

Comment

I will miss these organ concerts as they're great for moments of contemplation, laying on the floor of the sparsely attended RAH and soaking in the organ, the universe and everything, including the RAH roof. Today I counted the mushrooms. There are 85 of them. I think. I had to restart my count a couple of times.

As for how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall, dunno mate. I just count the mushrooms.

Comment

Originally posted by prokkyshosty View Post
        As for how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall, dunno mate. I just count the mushrooms.
        It depends how hard it rains.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
          Or if there's mushroom for any more

Comment

Originally posted by prokkyshosty View Post
            I will miss these organ concerts as they're great for moments of contemplation, laying on the floor of the sparsely attended RAH and soaking in the organ, the universe and everything, including the RAH roof. Today I counted the mushrooms. There are 85 of them. I think. I had to restart my count a couple of times.
            I did exactly the same only I made it 78. I find it's easiest if you count in concentric circles...

Comment

Originally posted by Ruth Elleson View Post
              I did exactly the same only I made it 78. I find it's easiest if you count in concentric circles...
              And only start counting when they stop moving

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                This is now my favorite thread.

Ruth -- there are seven mushrooms behind the stage. Did you count those as well? If not, then our counts are corroborated!

Comment

I heard this concert stretched out on my back facing the ceiling as well... listening to the Reger and Franck while the low notes vibrated up through my spine, hips and shoulder-blades was intensely pleasurable. Not only was I completely engulfed in sound, I was soaking it up with my whole body, too-- and feeling every note. Wonderful! I wish the concert had been four times as long.

Comment

"Sparsely attended".

That's a shame if it's the case. T E is a master, as he showed very clearly. I'd have liked to be there, but it was wonderful via the radio anyway.

I wonder if people other than organists know what immense skill is needed to play some of these works. I'd say that the professional organist - one who can use hands and feet independently and "split his brain" in the way that I cannot - is at the top of the tree when it comes to skill. Far more so than the pianist, IMO.

Comment

Well, sparsely attended at the RAH counts as a well-attended organ concert at most other venues!

Comment

Working...
                      X