Prom 74: Saturday 10th September at 7.30 p.m. (Last Night of the Proms)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Don't you have to pay to go to the Proms in the Park(s)? That would make quite a profit on the events themselves - I wonder whether that goes to offset the Official Proms or into some other pot.
    A tenner for tickets in Dundee, I believe, and it's a sell out.

Comment

Two mics and I still can't hear him... Ah, that's better.

And what does he do? Plug the ENO!

Comment

Oh my god... The Britten arrangement of the National Anthem... To bed, to bed!

Comment

What's wrong with the Britten arrangement?

Comment

Each year I hope that this will be the year when "Auld Lang Syne" is sung with the correct words, actions, and pronunciation of "syne".

There's nothing difficult about it.

Oh well. There's always 2012.

Comment

I know about the correct words, but what's the correct (and, if it comes to that, the incorrect) pronunciation? Are you saying that it should be "Sign" but we usually hear "Zign"?

Comment

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                A tenner for tickets in Dundee, I believe, and it's a sell out.
                The Dundee concert is in a concert hall, isn't it?

Comment

Two real high-points for me: the Wagner and the Britten "God Save", which I haven't heard for years.

As for the two songs from musicals............. so out of place!

I was intrigued by the padding at the beginning of Part 2. Does Katherine Jenkins always sound like that or did my television develop a sound fault? (Good to see Lang Lang seeming a bit more modest than his usual playing to the gallery - though I thought the over-sentimentalisation of the Liszt Consolation wrecked it.)

Comment

Ok not actually asleep yet. The Britten engages in faux-fealty, is self-conscious, self-regarding, and showily unshowy... Give me something authentic and I will like it or dislike it according to taste.

Comment

Is that it? First time I watch LN and I was expecting High Jinks and Jolly Japes and lots of bobbin' up and dahn and Fun and streamers and it seemed flat as a proverbial. Best point was the pulsating daff on Ms. Bullock's chest and wondering if her helmet would fall off

Comment

Anna, couldn't agree with you more. A party in letter but not in spirit, but it is because the hosts don't really want to be holding the party in the first place. The heart is not in it..

Comment

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
                          Ok not actually asleep yet. The Britten engages in faux-fealty, is self-conscious, self-regarding, and showily unshowy... Give me something authentic and I will like it or dislike it according to taste.
                          Very good description, that.

Comment

Susan Bullock shrieked throughout Rule Britannia - a lousy performance and the Prommers looked even more lunatic than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Coules View Post
                              I know about the correct words, but what's the correct (and, if it comes to that, the incorrect) pronunciation? Are you saying that it should be "Sign" but we usually hear "Zign"?
                              Bert, yes, exactly that. "Syne" means "since". "Auld lang syne" = "Old long ago".

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                The Dundee concert is in a concert hall, isn't it?
                                Yes, The Caird Hall in the centre of the city. Dates from c 1921. It is generally regarded as having a very fine acoustic and is frequently used for classical recordings. It has a Harrison and Harrison organ, restored in 1991.

The ideal place for a few prom concerts.......

Comment

Working...
                                X