Prom 74: Saturday 10th September at 7.30 p.m. (Last Night of the Proms)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    Also I've never understood why See the Conquering Hero from Judas Maccabaeus is a Sea Song.
    Neither is Home, Sweet Home, for that matter.

Returning to the concert, I thought Lang Lang showed great stamina and poise, having just been rushed from the Hyde Park dross concert, where he had given rather a good performance of La Campanella (Liszt).

Comment

I hope this is not just nostalgia syndrome, but was it not all very flat? The last conductor who carried it off really well was Andrew Davis, no question. Is it my imagination, too, or did John Pritchard tell us that he wouldn't be back next year as he was dying...? (shades of Sargent, if so...)

Comment

The Arts Desk’s team of professional critics offer unrivalled review coverage, in-depth interviews and features on popular music, classical, art, theatre, comedy, opera, comedy and dance. Dedicated art form pages, readers’ comments, What’s On and our user-friendly theatre and film recommendations

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Political correctness is not new. I went to a Proms rehearsal with Basil Cameron conducting in about 1948.
          When the orchestra got to Home Sweet Home [which I have been told many times is called something else?] there was an earnest discussion with the cellist playing the solo as there was a fear that the Prommers would throw pennies. I'm afraid that we listeners in G block thought it hilarious, I think it went ahead that year but was later dropped. IMHO BC was a very underrated conductor, his Sibelius was very good indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
            I hope this is not just nostalgia syndrome, but was it not all very flat? The last conductor who carried it off really well was Andrew Davis, no question. Is it my imagination, too, or did John Pritchard tell us that he wouldn't be back next year as he was dying...? (shades of Sargent, if so...)
            Except that MS said he would be back next year, knowing that he wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
              Sargent said he would be back in the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by amac4165 View Post
                There did seem to be a higher number - of "ticketed" arena people this year - and the arena did seem fuller than last year or 2005. (2011, 2011 and 2005 being my only experience since 1988) Also it was my impression less boxes were decorated - this year. I think people have cottoned on that you can get a ticket to the arena on the last night.
                I'm not surprised that the Arena was full. The Arena 'hopefuls' queue (i.e. those without tickets queuing to get in when the 20-minute rule kicked in) was very long very early. There are always a few diehards who sleep out, but the queue was, I'm told, up to Albert Court by 7 a.m., was close to the bottom of the steps by 8 a.m., and later crossed the road and reached as far as the steps of the Royal School of Mines. Does anyone know if they all got in? BTW, I thought the Hall coped very well - Front of House were out as early as 8:10 to offer use of the washrooms to the queue.

As for Ferretfancy's "The oafs with air horns etc. are never seen at any other time.", this is not strictly true. I was at a Blue Peter Prom in about 1998 where two such oafs came into the Arena during the performance and, er, performed. When challenged why, the answer came back "Because my producer told me to.". They turned out to be Blue Peter presenters. I understand that one of the two later left that programme under something of a cloud.

Comment

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                  The prommers certainly didn't sing "the right words" last night - and they haven't for years.
                  I did, and I always do - as does David, though unfortunately he wasn't there last night. If his use of the word "we" is intended in a small-scale context, he is quite right.

What we do all seem to do "wrong" - unless I am mistaken about the traditions associated with the song - is join hands at the start. But then, we never get as far as "And there’s a hand, my trusty fiere/friend, And gi's a hand o'thine"...

Comment

As an innocent early teen in the late 70s I loved the LNOTP (on TV); I can't quite remember when I then started to feel uncomfortable about it, but someb ten years ago I had the misfortune to be at an open-air fireworks/ 1812/ Last Night items type extravaganza and the horror of what it can stand for to many people really hit home - the shaved heads and tattoos as well as the Union flag-waving and hats, balloons, car-horns etc.

I wonder how far the recorded Last Night archives go back - televison and radio - and whether anyone has ever made a serious study of the changes in behaviour over that period. I don't trust my own perception of a shift from innocence to otherwise in the LNOTP itself over the last 35 years; that shift has been in myself. It would however be fascinating (if mind-numbing) to sample a sequence of Last Nights over the last 75 years...

Comment

Originally posted by Ruth Elleson View Post
                      I did, and I always do - as does David, though unfortunately he wasn't there last night. If his use of the word "we" is intended in a small-scale context, he is quite right.

What we do all seem to do "wrong" - unless I am mistaken about the traditions associated with the song - is join hands at the start. But then, we never get as far as "And there’s a hand, my trusty fiere/friend, And gi's a hand o'thine"...
                      Ruth, I am delighted to read this. I shall listen out for you next year. Seriously, I am sure there will be others like you and David, but you'll be drowned out by the many. A vulgar expression involving "thunder" springs to mind.

You're right too about holding hands. The clue is in the words, which make it quite plain what should happen, and when.

Comment

I did indeed mean on a small-scale. I must confess I didn't know the correct words until I started promming

We could also do with sorting out a sensible key. There must now be enough of us with smartphones with pitch generator apps to decide on a sensible note beforehand. Still, at least it didn't seem to be in organum this year!

Comment

Regardless of whether the last night is a good or a bad thing (personally I think it needs a mini season of 1 concert), is this the start of the rehabilitation of Lang Lang? I though he was superb in the hall. Feel free to shoot me down in flames!
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                            Regardless of whether the last night is a good or a bad thing (personally I think it needs a mini season of 1 concert), is this the start of the rehabilitation of Lang Lang? I though he was superb in the hall. Feel free to shoot me down in flames!
                            He did the Chopin no2 in 2009 - with the Dresden. I was completely oblivious to this until I got to the hall having only come for the Alpine Symphony. He was perfectly ok in that - rather good as I remember.

People do still refer to the 2008 solo concert - the number of people who told me they walked out means there must have very few in the hall at the end !

Comment

what about Gardner's speech. I never heard it anything special?
                              "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

Originally posted by amac4165 View Post
                                He did the Chopin no2 in 2009 - with the Dresden. I was completely oblivious to this until I got to the hall having only come for the Alpine Symphony. He was perfectly ok in that - rather good as I remember.
                                He was good in the Chopin (2009). Mind you, after that Rebecca Sauders piece...

Comment

Working...
                                X