Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accommodation during the Proms

A heads-up for anyone booking rooms at Imperial College during the Proms - I have just had an email from the College reservations office, informing me that Beit Hall is closed for the whole of September for refurbishment.

Agh! What a shame. Just today I was thinking about getting a private room at Beit for the duration. Does anyone have any recommended alternatives? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Eudaimonia View Post
      Agh! What a shame. Just today I was thinking about getting a private room at Beit for the duration. Does anyone have any recommended alternatives? Thanks!
      They're taking bookings for Princes Gardens. I got an email yesterday stating that bookings were open for the summer. When I tried to check out prices etc. for the Proms, the only accommodation I was offered was at Princes Gardens. I emailed asking why there were no prices for Beit, which is when I got a reply email informing me about the refurbishment.

Comment

Bizarre, I'm sure the initial email I received had a footnote which specifically mentioned Beit!

Comment

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
          Bizarre, I'm sure the initial email I received had a footnote which specifically mentioned Beit!
          I have had a further response following my latest email. They have confirmed that as July and August are busier, they have decided to close down during September! You might also like to know that the prices in Princes Gardens are much more expensive than Beit. A single ensuite is £69.50 per night, as opposed to £50 per night at Beit. There is also no reduced rate for rooms during the Proms. This means a single ensuite room for three nights would be £208

Comment

I've found a hotel within walking distance of the RAH, rack rate for a single room is £120pn, offered at by the hotel at £96 but apparently being discounted by an agent for various random dates between early July and mid August at £46pn. But that offer appears to close 31 March.

I've turned on my Visitor Messaging and left a message there so that logged in members can see the details.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Problem is, FF, that quite a number of us need accommodation for the last three nights of the season. If anyone knows of any cheap accommodation within walking distance of the RAH, please let us know!!!

Comment

Fair enough, HJ - the price quoted goes up to £78pn from Sept 6th - and it would in any case depend whether you wanted singles, doubles, trips, dormitory (obviously a different type of accommodation), and for how many people.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilaryjane View Post
                  Problem is, FF, that quite a number of us need accommodation for the last three nights of the season. If anyone knows of any cheap accommodation within walking distance of the RAH, please let us know!!!

Discover Getty Images' unrivaled collection of royalty-free images to find the perfect stock photo, vector, or illustration that resonates with your customers.

good luck with your search

Comment

Originally posted by Hilaryjane View Post
                    For HJ, how about this establishment:

Comment

I always stop at Imperial College, Beit Hall, adjacent to the RAH. So close I can be back in my room to hear myself applauding!
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

But that's the point Petrushka, apaprently Beit is being refurbished this summer, and they won't be doing accomocdation in September at all at Imperial.

Comment

Originally posted by Eudaimonia View Post
                          Just today I was thinking about getting a private room at Beit for the duration.
                          But aren't you getting confused by your own fictions? You told everyone some time ago that were earning an extra $6000 per month, so you would keep your London apartment as well as one in New York and could work from your Mayfair office address when here. It's understandable (if a bit ostentatious) that you are giving your 'Location' (top rt of each post) as 'London/NYC'.

When you get a second London address for the 'duration' will 'Location' become 'London 1/London 2/London (Mayfair Office)/NYC'? ff may want you to pay for reprogramming to make it fit!

Comment

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
                            But that's the point Petrushka, apaprently Beit is being refurbished this summer, and they won't be doing accomocdation in September at all at Imperial.
                            Oops! Write out 100 times 'I must read thread from the beginning'.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

But aren't you getting confused by your own fictions?
                              Nothing is fiction: I did get a raise, but thanks to years of freelancers' uncertainty, am frugal beyond belief and live beneath my means. Don't you remember I did all my posting last summer from a seedy hostel (minus the week I stayed at a real hotel so my colleagues wouldn't find out how cheap I was)? I never made any pretense about that. In fact, I'm rather proud I had the grit to tough it out.

I never got around to getting the apartment near Earl's Court I was contemplating since I got sidetracked by projects here in New York and in India (and no, I haven't gone to Gujarat yet, despite my original plans to the contrary) and am still doing consulting work for the firm that has offices in Mayfair and NYC.

For what it's worth, I wasn't speaking to "everyone", I was addressing my remarks to my tiny handful of friends from the old "No Subject" thread. So if you don't fall into that category, there's no reason for you to concern yourself with my affairs at all. But hey, thanks for caring!
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-04-11, 01:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X