Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This reminds me that my box of Chateau du Tesco is running out and I should get some more...

ps. Mmm, trifle!

Comment

Some years since I have been in the day queue - ! A good guide always was the church in Prince Consort - if the queue is there an hour before kick off then the arena is going to be reasonably full.

Only when it has gone the length of Prince Consort road and turns into Queens Gate does it start to get dodgy as to whether you might get in. I have only been passed the corner on one occasion by about 40 yards - still got in quite easily- but it does depend on how loose the queue is set up.

The gallery and arena queues do "meet up" round the back - I heard the stewards on the radios at the Verdi requiem reporting this !

Comment

Originally posted by amac4165 View Post
        ...Only when it has gone the length of Prince Consort road and turns into Queens Gate does it start to get dodgy as to whether you might get in. I have only been passed the corner on one occasion by about 40 yards - still got in quite easily- but it does depend on how loose the queue is set up...
        Also depends on how long the season ticket queue is too!

Comment

I have not prommed for many years, and would be grateful for some advice. I am thinking of trying for "The Trojans" on 22 July. I am sure that this is going to be very popular. The concert starts at 4.30. Does anyone have any suggestions as to when I should arrive to queue, if I wanted to get a reasonably good place in the Arena?

Also, where does the Arena queue start?

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by David-G View Post
            I have not prommed for many years, and would be grateful for some advice. I am thinking of trying for "The Trojans" on 22 July. I am sure that this is going to be very popular. The concert starts at 4.30. Does anyone have any suggestions as to when I should arrive to queue, if I wanted to get a reasonably good place in the Arena?
            If you know that you have no other plans for that Sunday afternoon, as a wild guess, you might want to get to the Arena queue around 12:30 PM or so. Once you have your queue number, you can go off and relax in Hyde Park, or take in something at the Science Museum or the V&A, for a spell. You should not vacate your spot in the queue for longer than 90 minutes at a stretch, just to let your fellow Prommers know that you have your spot there. Obviously bring sufficient food and beverage for the afternoon, not to mention a book or two (or more if you have electronic versions).

Also, where does the Arena queue start?
            If you're facing the RAH from the Prince Consort Road side (i.e. looking north), the Arena queue begins about 20' west by southwest of the statue near the RAH lobby entrance, i.e. on your left. You'll see the sign that marks the start of the Arena day queue, and probably some diehards there already.

Comment

David-G

I would suggest that you do not just turn up take a queue ticket and go away for any length of time. The general idea is that you do some queing and then take a break for no longer than you have been there. Generally the stewards expect a lunch break to last half an hour.

If in doubt about anything ask a fellow Prommenader or a steward. Cases have arisen were people have taken liberties with time and have then been moved to the back if the cue.

Would also suggest with the present weather a large brolly would be a good investment!

Enjoy the day and remember if in doubt ask.

Comment

Please excuse mistakes. Large fingers and small keyboard on mobile.

Comment

So to take a break of 90 minutes, which blustateprommer suggested might be a reasonable limit, would only be acceptable if I had already been queuing for 90 minutes?

Comment

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                    So to take a break of 90 minutes, which blustateprommer suggested might be a reasonable limit, would only be acceptable if I had already been queuing for 90 minutes?
                    Best then to take along a po with you - preferably one with a lid, if such are available in retailers - together with an easily erectable small tent in which to do the biz, so as not to be picked up for an act of public indecency.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Best then to take along a po with you - preferably one with a lid, if such are available in retailers - together with an easily erectable small tent in which to do the biz, so as not to be picked up for an act of public indecency.
                      Goodness, even I could cope for 90 minutes before a loo break . Anyway, I would have thought that fellow queuers would allow a loo break of 15 minutes or so - 90 minutes would be rather excessive.

I wouldn't take a large umbrella though, even if the weather is bad - it would require queuing at the cloakroom to leave it - or do you have to do that anyway for bags? When I last prommed I think bags were allowed into the auditorium.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Or for chamber music proms a............got to be a chamber potty.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          Or for chamber music proms a............got to be a chamber potty.
                          very quick! Just right for closet music.
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Of course comfort breaks are allowed. Facilities are available in the RAH just outside the restaurant above the box office. Alternatively there is Beit Hall at IC immediately next to the Arena day queue.

Can you imagine what the Residents and RAH management would make of some of the alternatives suggested?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Mersey View Post
                              Of course comfort breaks are allowed. Facilities are available in the RAH just outside the restaurant above the box office. Alternatively there is Beit Hall at IC immediately next to the Arena day queue.

Can you imagine what the Residents and RAH management would make of some of the alternatives suggested?
                              I imagine they would p themselves

Comment

I had not thought that an umbrella might be a difficulty. Does one have to leave things in the cloakroom before getting one's Arena place?

Would there be time to leave an umbrella in the cloakroom after getting one's Arena place?

(I have a standard gent's umbrella. Perhaps it could be on the floor at my feet?)

Comment

Working...
                                X