Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would be the disadvantage of announcing the next seasons programme at the end of the current one ?

Thats still only 44 weeks notice for the opening concerts.

And we are all busy people who need to get our diaries sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      What would be the disadvantage of announcing the next seasons programme at the end of the current one ?
      Well, probably not every concert is finalised yet. But I agree, they could give us some idea of what's planned.

Comment

Whilst discussion is flowing regarding this year's Last Night; taking note of many views expressed, I would like to propose a concert for next year's LNOTP, giving satisfaction to those who still cling to the British traditions associated with the Henry Wood Promenade Concerts:

Sir Edward Elgar: Overture "Cockaign" (In London Town)
        Ralph Vaughan Williams: Symphony Nº 2 (A London Symphony)

INTERVAL

Sir William Walton: Overture: "Portsmouth Point"
        Sir Arnold Bax: Tintagel
        Benjamin Britten: Four Sea Interludes (from Peter Grimes)
        Sir Arthur Bliss: Suite: "Things to Come"
        Sir William Walton: March: Crown Imperial
        Thomas Arne: Rule Britannia
        Sir Edward Elgar: Pomp and Circumstance March Nº 1 "Land of Hope and Glory"

Why not? The Henry Wood Promenade concerts are a British music festival. So why not also make it a festival of British music?

Suggestions please (no reason why the concert should not run longer than normal)

VH

Comment

So by "British Music Festival" you really mean
          Dead English ?

Comment

You forgot the Sea Songs

Comment

An English Music Festival without Britten?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                So by "British Music Festival" you really mean
                Dead English ?
                Not at all. That's why I invited suggestions from other message boarders.

For instance, Hamish McGunn, Lennox Berkely, Daniel Jones, Alun Hoddinot, EJ Moeran et al.

My only criterion is that all the works performed should be easy listening for all the prommers (which was certainly not the case this year!)

Duration of the concert is of no consequence. If you can queue up for 24 hours, you should be entitled to a feast of music.

This should be a celebration, not a reason for anyone to stay away.

VH

Comment

Originally posted by BudgieJane View Post
                  You forgot the Sea Songs
                  "Seas of Cheese" from the 1991 LP "Sailing the Seas of Cheese." I do not own this song."When the going gets toughAnd the stomach acids flowThe cold wind of c...

or even something like this (not a great film but awesome sound sculpture)

eeeer

"EASY LISTENING"
                  surely that's what CFM (aka Radio Mogodon in this house) is for ?

Comment

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                    An English Music Festival without Britten?
                    Are you wearing your reading glasses this morning?

Comment

the British traditions associated with the Henry Wood Promenade Concerts
                      I've just been looking at a random selection of Last Night "playlists" in the archive and I shall stick my neck out and say there has never been an all-British Last Night programme in the entire history (not that I'm saying there shouldn't be)

Comment

Originally posted by Ventilhorn View Post
                        Are you wearing your reading glasses this morning?
                        Oops! Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7jiC...eature=related

"EASY LISTENING"
                          surely that's what CFM (aka Radio Mogodon in this house) is for ?
                          Okay then, "ACCEPTABLE LISTENING" if you must be picky.

Comment

Okay then, "ACCEPTABLE LISTENING" if you must be picky.
                            I know that my idea of what I want to listen to isn't really the same as many / most peoples
                            but

"Acceptable" ???? do you really mean something that will be "ok" for everyone ? music is far too important to simply be that
                            I want to be stimulated, entertained, challenged, surprised and sometimes disturbed by music when I go to a concert

Comment

Not at all. That's why I invited suggestions from other message boarders.

For instance, Hamish McGunn, Lennox Berkely, Daniel Jones, Alun Hoddinot, EJ Moeran et al.

My only criterion is that all the works performed should be easy listening for all the prommers (which was certainly not the case this year!)

Duration of the concert is of no consequence. If you can queue up for 24 hours, you should be entitled to a feast of music.

This should be a celebration, not a reason for anyone to stay away.

VH
                              George Lloyd's Symphonic Mass would be ideal for the 1st night.

What about a symphony or two by Lloyd, Rubbra, Dyson and Rawsthorne ?.

(Did I hear someone say in your dreams?)

Comment

I think the perceived Britishness of the proms in times past is a myth. When the archives were first put online we were told that Wagner was the most performed composer at the proms.

Comment

Working...
                                X