Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
    I like Ventilhorn's Last Night. No Sea Songs - Hooray. Mind you Walton wrote better music than that march.

The Battle of Britain Prom sounds a good idea BUT Beethoven's Wellington's Victory ? I seem to remember on the Auntie Message Board you said it was the biggest load of tosh you had ever had the misfortune to play in (or something close to those words)
    It's a suggestion for a "novelty" prom., Chris

I didn't say that I was going to listen to it!

There were quite a few "loads of tosh" this year; but I avoided most of them

VH

Comment

Originally posted by Ventilhorn View Post
      I couldn't find any music to include Blenheim, Defiant or Tempest in the title
      Perhaps LVB's Wellington's victory might be replaced by:
      Ludwig van Beethoven's 1802 Piano Sonata No. 17 in D minor, Op. 31, No. 2, was given the subtitle "The Tempest" some time after Beethoven's death because, when asked about the meaning of the sonata, Beethoven was alleged to have said "Read The Tempest". But this story comes from his associate Anton Schindler, who is often not trustworthy.

Otherwise, there is a whole catalogue full of music relating to Tempest - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tempest

Comment

my theme, to be played on "Battle of Britain Day" - the Theme being "The Royal Air Force"
        Copland opera - The Second Hurricane (performed by the Halifax Choral Society)

Comment

From the horse's mouth, it seems there will be a G&S. In a response to a question about whether there would be any G&S or Sullivan, the reply was: "my lips are sealed but I can give you comsiderable [sic] hope about G&S in 2012."
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... yerss, I'm racking my brain for any music title containing Beaufighter...

Lordy, vints - you've set Leif Segerstam off again, symphony no 252 "The Beaufighter" I'm told

Comment

A quick web search discovers that there is to a performance of Bernstein's "Mass" at next year's Proms by BBC Wales forces and Sir Mark Elder will be conducting the new Aldeburgh World Orchestra.

Comment

From the National Youth Wind Orchestra of Great Britain website: "NYWO is proud to announce that it has been invited to perform at the BBC Promenade Concerts on August 12, 2012. Further details will be published on this site when they are available."

Also from the web: "The Aldeburgh World Orchestra (AWO) will be made up of 124 of the best emerging musicians from across the globe, in equal numbers from the Middle East, Africa, the Americas, Oceania and Europe. The musicians, aged 18 to 29, will be conducted by one of the UK’s leading musical figures, Sir Mark Elder. The orchestra will be put together for the London 2012 Festival, the finale of the Cultural Olympiad. They will be in residency at Aldeburgh Music from July 6–29 next year, culminating in high-profile performances at the Snape Maltings Concert Hall, Ingolstadt Audi Festival, Amsterdam Concertgebouw, and the London BBC Proms in 2012."

15 July 2012 will see Debussy's Pelleas et Melisande with the Monteverdi Choir (and I assume JEG).

Comment

Berlioz, "Les Troyens", July 22, 2012 @ The Proms next season

Having dug up the tentative prospect in another thread of the ROH production of Berlioz's Les Troyens for the 2012 Proms, a quick web search indicates a date of Sunday July 22, 2012 for that Prom:

Maybe a 4:00 PM start time, and a very long interval for dinner that day?

Comment

[QUOTE=Lee McLernon;86528]
                    Also from the web: "The Aldeburgh World Orchestra (AWO) will be made up of 124 of the best emerging musicians from across the globe, in equal numbers from the Middle East, Africa, the Americas, Oceania and Europe. The musicians, aged 18 to 29, will be conducted by one of the UK’s leading musical figures, Sir Mark Elder. The orchestra will be put together for the London 2012 Festival, the finale of the Cultural Olympiad. They will be in residency at Aldeburgh Music from July 6–29 next year, culminating in high-profile performances at the Snape Maltings Concert Hall, Ingolstadt Audi Festival, Amsterdam Concertgebouw, and the London BBC Proms in 2012."

Their repertoire for that tour provisionally consists of:

Shostakovich Symphony No. 5
                    Britten Sinfonia da Requiem
                    Stravinsky Rite of Spring
                    Mahler Adagio from Symphony No. 10
                    World Premiere BBC commission by Charlotte Bray

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                      Having dug up the tentative prospect in another thread of the ROH production of Berlioz's Les Troyens for the 2012 Proms, a quick web search indicates a date of Sunday July 22, 2012 for that Prom:

Maybe a 4:00 PM start time, and a very long interval for dinner that day?
                      The last time we had "Les Troyens" at the Proms, it was done on the Bank Holiday Monday, as two Proms (so day trippers had to pay twice). It was impossible to get a table for dinner in the Hall between the two, of course, but there was just (and only just) time to get a meal somewhere on Kensington High St.

Comment

date for Bernstein's "Mass" @ The Proms 2012

One small tidbit from the National Youth Choir of Wales:

2012 Summer Residency & Concert Tour

.......The highlight of the Choir's 2012 diary will be a performance of Leonard Bernstein's Mass at the BBC Proms in the Royal Albert Hall with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales and BBC National Chorus of Wales and members of the National Youth Orchestra of Wales.

BBC Prom:
                        Dates: 04 - 06 August
                        Concert: 6th August, Royal Albert Hall, London
                        Also, one wonders if Debussy and Delius will get hefty representation, since 2012 is an anniversary year for both composers.

Comment

Lee has flagged up Pelléas et Mélisande for 15 July, for one thing.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Bernstein's Mass? well that's one to miss,But as it's my birthday I'll have better things to do.
                            This would be top of my list for the most embarrassingly awful composition of all time.

Comment

come on Ferret it can't be worse than Gerontius

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                come on Ferret it can't be worse than Gerontius
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X