X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    come on Ferret it can't be worse than Gerontius
    MrGongGong

Just a bit worse, I'd say, but not by much !

Comment

MrGG!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Well I'm an atheist and I love Gerontius

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

I second that
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ventilhorn View Post
            Sir Arthur Bliss: Suite: "Things to Come"
            The contemporary dumbed-down version of which is Things to Go, n'est-ce pas?

The Henry Wood Promenade concerts are a British music festival. So why not also make it a festival of British music?
            The words "old" an "chestnut", in that order, come unbidden to mind...

Comment

For instance, Hamish McGunn, Lennox Berkely, Daniel Jones, Alun Hoddinot, EJ Moeran et al.
              I've never heard of the first two or the fourth of these; I have, however, heard of McCunn, Berkeley (and not just Lennox) and Hoddinott.

My only criterion is that all the works performed should be easy listening for all the prommers (which was certainly not the case this year!)
              But who shall or could decide what might constitute easy listening for anyone, let alone every member of a Prom audience - and why should none of the British works on a Prom programme be at all challenging? I cannot imagine that an entire Prom audience would find certain symphonic works by the two Welshmen you mention to be "easy listening", any more than I can imagine that either composer would appreciate your sobriquet!

Comment

Well, I sincerely hope the Proms will not be easy listening (or should the word be accessible, or inclusive, that's another completely naff word isn't it?)

Yes, to a G&S, and make it as camp as possible and Bernstein's Mass is one I'd love to hear. No more Rite of Spring, in fact less Strav and more Berlioz! To turn it back into a British music festival would be awful, imagine more than one outing for Delius!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  Well, I sincerely hope the Proms will not be easy listening (or should the word be accessible, or inclusive, that's another completely naff word isn't it?)

Yes, to a G&S, and make it as camp as possible and Bernstein's Mass is one I'd love to hear. No more Rite of Spring, in fact less Strav and more Berlioz! To turn it back into a British music festival would be awful, imagine more than one outing for Delius!
                  You tell 'em Anna!

I recall seeing Delius' A Village Romeo & Juliet at ENO one time. There was about 5 mins (but it felt like 20) of orchestral interlude during which maunderings a chap went right to the back of the stage with a ladder, climbed up it & proceeded to paint the back wall. No other action and, as far as I could tell, not relevant to the 'plot'. And suddenly the thought popped into my mind 'you are paying to watch ... paint dry'

Interminable it was

Comment

And I third it.

Comment

My only criterion is that all the works performed should be easy listening for all the prommers
                      This is such a silly proposition that I can't quite believe it was made other than ironically.

Originally posted by Anna View Post

Not sure I agree about G&S or Berlioz.... Otherwise, I'm with you. Please no more Frederick Tedius. I think we've done Lizst and Tchaikovsky to death too, haven't we...??
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

You tell 'em Anna!

I recall seeing Delius' A Village Romeo & Juliet at ENO one time. There was about 5 mins (but it felt like 20) of orchestral interlude during which maunderings a chap went right to the back of the stage with a ladder, climbed up it & proceeded to paint the back wall. No other action and, as far as I could tell, not relevant to the 'plot'. And suddenly the thought popped into my mind 'you are paying to watch ... paint dry'

Interminable it was
                        There is a much better filmed version of VR&J conducted by Mackerras with a young Thom Hampson as a superb dark fiddler. The rest of the Czech cast mime the British singers but it is beautifully filmed on Supraphon. Not interminable at all done properly.

Comment

Ooh! It'd be great to have Bernstein's Mass at the Proms!

Comment

Whilst discussion is flowing regarding this year's Last Night; taking note of many views expressed, I would like to propose a concert for next year's LNOTP, giving satisfaction to those who still cling to the British traditions associated with the Henry Wood Promenade Concerts:

Sir Edward Elgar: Overture "Cockaign" (In London Town)
                            Ralph Vaughan Williams: Symphony Nº 2 (A London Symphony)

INTERVAL

Sir William Walton: Overture: "Portsmouth Point"
                            Sir Arnold Bax: Tintagel
                            Benjamin Britten: Four Sea Interludes (from Peter Grimes)
                            Sir Arthur Bliss: Suite: "Things to Come"
                            Sir William Walton: March: Crown Imperial
                            Thomas Arne: Rule Britannia
                            Sir Edward Elgar: Pomp and Circumstance March Nº 1 "Land of Hope and Glory"

Why not? The Henry Wood Promenade concerts are a British music festival. So why not also make it a festival of British music?

Suggestions please (no reason why the concert should not run longer than normal)

VH
                            The last time that the LNOTP was a completely British affair was 1993 conducted by Barry Wordsworth: there was plenty of the usual stuff of course, but decent helpings of Lord Berners, RR Bennett and Constant Lambert, his 'Rio Grand' for Della Jones, Kathryn Stott and the BBCSO Choir. Wonderful music, too rarely performed: and it was the first proper time I slept out for the customary three days to get on the front row of the arena. I'd been there once before in 1986, but only because I'd won a raffle in as a member of the BBC Symphony Club, a society long gone I'm afraid...

Comment

Me too!!!
                              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

And the Aldeburgh World Orchestra website now confirms the date of their Prom as 29 July.

Comment

Working...
                                X