Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2012 Proms season

As last year, I've started a special board for the Proms (programme to be launched today). However, I would propose that as the scope of the Performance board is now principally aimed at the evening concert and live performance, discussion about individual concerts should remain there, with a formula title: PROM 1: Toscanini, Brahms, Strauss, NBC SO (no that's not a prediction!)

General discussion not related to concerts/recitals and information point can be here. Thoughts?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Sounds eminently sensible, Frankie.

Comment

Seconded.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        Sounds eminently sensible, Frankie.
        I'd expect nothing else - thirded!

Comment

Well, yes and no . I have just drawn my own attention to the fact that the Proms board still exists from last year, moved down the display list. I've renamed that 'Proms 2011' and moved the threads with useful information up to the 2012 thread.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Well, yes and no . I have just drawn my own attention to the fact that the Proms board still exists from last year, moved down the display list. I've renamed that 'Proms 2011' and moved the threads with useful information up to the 2012 thread.
            Well all that remains is for the Proms 2012 programme to justify all this preparation ... when's the launch due?

Comment

Aujourd'hui, as I understand. No? If not, I'll dismantle it all and set it up again when the time comes.

(You know what it was like when they changed the clocks ... . I thought there wasn't much excitement ...)

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Aujourd'hui, as I understand.
                Yes, 2pm today.
                Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

I hope this this season be better than last years!!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    I hope this this season be better than last years!!
                    Are you auditioning for a part in The Archers, Bbm?

Comment

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post

Comment

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post

Ooooo-arrrrrr !
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Teaser video posted on Radio 3 webpage with Katie Derham talking to RW. a few clues to what's coming up

Comment

A few of my pre-highlights:

First Night - all English programme with four conductors (Brabbins, Norrington, Gardner Elder) directing the BBCSO, plus Terfel and Finley singing, and Connolly
                            Opening weekend - My Fair Lady (Sat), Pelleas et Melisande (ORR, Gardiner)

A Beethoven Cycle with the WEDO, as predicted.

Concert Performance of Les Troyens from ROH on Sunday 22nd

Runnicles and the BBCSSO - Bruckner 8 and Siegfried Idyll; 3rd August

Bychkov conducting the BBCSO in Schubert 8 and Ein Heldenleben; 8th August

G&S The Yeomen of the Guard BBC CO (Glover); 19th August

Peter Grimes (ENO); 24th August

Glyndebourne Figaro; 28th August

BPO on 30th& 31st August

VPO Bruckner 9 (Haitink); 6th Sept

VPO Alpine Symphony (Haitink); 7th Sept

And... the Fantasia is back!!!!

Comment

Look at this

A Prom marking the centenary of John Cage – music’s most irreverent experimenter: expect cassette players and plucked cactuses.

This is exactly what we want

(time to look at the rest methinks )
                              no diggity

Late-night modern classics: Ligeti’s Poème symphonique for 100 metronomes, plus Andriessen, Berio, Cage, Harvey and Xenakis.

Comment

Working...
                              X