Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferred seats in the RAH

Which seats do you prefer for prom performances? Most seats seem to have disadvantages in such a large hall. What would you recommend without going mad with the prices?
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

I like the side of the stalls, not too far back (though I've asked for the most expensive for Eine A (Prom 75))

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      I like the side of the stalls, not too far back (though I've asked for the most expensive for Eine A (Prom 75))
      Loggia or centre stalls? I suspect the centre stalls would be the best - or is it too far back? It's still cheaper than a football match

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/ExtraI...363834,00.html
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        I like the side of the stalls
        ... preferably 1st violin side, no more (and preferably somewhat less) than ¼ of the way round (taking the point directly opposite to the orchestra as ½ way round)
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I like to stand in the arena about ten rows back. Any closer and you get individual string players but that far back the strings blend and the woodwind carry. You hear mostly what the conductor wants to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
            Loggia or centre stalls? I suspect the centre stalls would be the best - or is it too far back? It's still cheaper than a football match

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/ExtraI...363834,00.html
            to be fair, chelsea are the worst of a bad bunch.
            you CAN get good value at footy,if though not always, of course.Season tickets were available at man city for £240 this season.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
              I like to stand in the arena about ten rows back.
              Fine if you are 6' tall no doubt. I might try standing for a lesser prom but for something special (planning VPO in Sept both nights) I would want seats.
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                ... preferably 1st violin side, no more (and preferably somewhat less) than ¼ of the way round (taking the point directly opposite to the orchestra as ½ way round)
                You mean at 9 o'clock?
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

You mean at 9 o'clock?

I avoided saying that in case someone thought the conductor was standing at 6 o'clock

As far as the arena is concerned, being 6' 5" (and not necessarily sapling-like), you can imagine that behind me there is usually a conical gap in the crowd (known as "Caliban's Shadow")
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I avoided saying that in case someone thought the conductor was standing at 6 o'clock

As far as the arena is concerned, being 6' 5" (and not necessarily sapling-like), you can imagine that behind me there is usually a conical gap in the crowd (known as "Caliban's Shadow")
                    Which, being 5' 2'', is the precise reason I hardly ever go down in the arena! That and the fact I will have been on my feet for much of the day in Lomdon I'm afraid the Petrushka legs and back find it a bit of a strain these days.

I've been seated in most areas of the hall over 35 seasons but my favourite haunt is 'O' stalls about halfway up. True, the brass can land with a bit of a clout on the ear but I find it very involving seated there, Avoid the boxes like the plague, you never hear anything. I also quite like the centre circle.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Fine if you are 6' tall no doubt. I might try standing for a lesser prom but for something special (planning VPO in Sept both nights) I would want seats.
                      No, Flay. I'm 5 foot 9 inches tall. I usually get a good view. For me the arena is partly force of habit since 1967 and it has the best sound. Making friends in the queue and meeting up again after 10 months is also fun. Then I have to balance the cost of train fares (about 10 return trips), Proms tickets and 6 lodging nights when I will stay up for three nights to catch four concerts in a row (Nights like the The Apostles, Berlioz Requiem, Gurrelieder, the Philharmonia and later St Louis, Nixon in China and the VPO). That leaves little change from £700 and then there is food.

Comment

I favour the side stalls, preferably first violin side and back far enough to get a decent view of the woodwinds/ brass/ percussion. Main stalls are okay, but once you get past being level with the fountain (or at least where the fountain used to be) the sound can be poor, especially in vocal music where soloists can get swallowed up.

I avoid the Circle, unless it's something big, loud and spectacular. I once heard a programme by a chamber orchestra which included a Schumann symphony from up there and had to lean forward to try and hear anything at all.

Two seasons ago, I had a seat in a box towards the right-hand side. Not only could I see very little, I heard even less.
                        Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

I'll just go where I put I think, having never been before. I've done a proms planner and selected some of the higher priced tickets for three proms, though I think I'll be lucky to get a seat for one of them.

Comment

At the Apex of: Armchair - speakers. Slightly elongated equilateral triangle.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              At the Apex of: Armchair - speakers. Slightly elongated equilateral triangle.
                              Won't that upset the other prommers? It's bad enough for them having caliban eclipsing their view.
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X