X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Jun 2024

Boulez withdraws from Proms 2012 concerts & talks

Pierre Boulez's continuing eyesight problems have forced him to withdraw from Proms 2012 concerts and talks.

• Osborn

Oh dear, oh dear. Le Marteau is such an important work, endlessly fascinatiing and desperately difficult to perform. To have (to be realistic) a last chance to hear it conducted by the composer was a dream that's now a pipe dream. (Incidentally, Hilary Summers is absolutely brilliant in this)
    Last edited by Guest; 10-07-12, 09:51. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
      Oh dear, oh dear. Le Marteau is such an important work, endlessly fascinatiing and desparately difficult to perform. To have (to be realistic) a last chance to hear it conducted by the composer was a dream that's now a pipe dream. (Incidentally, Hilary Summers is absolutely brilliant in this)
      Well I would have thought Boulez would have known the work backwards, without need to resort to the score. And inverted, retrograde inverted, and subjected to serial permutations.

Seriously, though, this is very sad news.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
        • Nov 2010

Most unfortunate that PB has had to withdraw from The Proms and other engagements. His eye problems clearly don't prevent him from enjoying concerts as an audience member, as the Chicago Tribune critic noted in this review of the Chicago Symphony and Mahler 6, with Jaap van Zweden on the podium:

FWIW, the Forum Calendar is now updated.

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
          Most unfortunate that PB has had to withdraw from The Proms and other engagements. His eye problems clearly don't prevent him from enjoying concerts as an audience member, as the Chicago Tribune critic noted in this review of the Chicago Symphony and Mahler 6, with Jaap van Zweden on the podium:

FWIW, the Forum Calendar is now updated.
          For any performing artist to encounter problems with eyesight or hearing is a terrible blow and M Boulez has my deepest sympathy. I wish him well.

Does this mean any changes to the scheduled programmes, or will another conductor take over responsibilty for his compositions?
          (and also the complete Beethoven cycle?)

Hornspieler

Comment

• Osborn

HS. The Beethoven cycle (with Boulez works) is unchanged with Barenboim conducting. Francois-Xavier Roth will conduct Le Marteau in the late night prom. Boulez's place in a discussion with Roger Wright at the RCM will be taken by Barenboim on 20 July. RW will do well to stay afloat - DB is fiendishly difficult to interview!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
              For any performing artist to encounter problems with eyesight or hearing is a terrible blow and M Boulez has my deepest sympathy. I wish him well.

Does this mean any changes to the scheduled programmes, or will another conductor take over responsibilty for his compositions?
              (and also the complete Beethoven cycle?)

Hornspieler
              It's all in the Press Release in the original post, HS.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                Most unfortunate that PB has had to withdraw from The Proms and other engagements. His eye problems clearly don't prevent him from enjoying concerts as an audience member.
                Yes, the Press Bulletin makes it clear that Boulez is unable to travel:

Due to recent eye surgery in the United States, Pierre Boulez is unfortunately unable to travel to the UK
                I hope this means that the surgery was as (comparitively!) straightforward as cataracts, and that we shall hear him conducting Le Marteau etc etc in the near future. Boulez' eyesight has caused him problems in recent years: he misjudged some steps and had a serious fall about a year ago.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Pierre was 'doing' sunglasses long before Beckham

Euroarts DVD Trailer: 3085238More Info.: http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=3085238

Get better soon, Maitre

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    It's all in the Press Release in the original post, HS.
                    Thanks for the info.

HS

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Pierre was 'doing' sunglasses long before Beckham

Euroarts DVD Trailer: 3085238More Info.: http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=3085238

Get better soon, Maitre
                      That was when he was suffering from a bout of shingles and was as a consequence temporarily photophobic.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        That was when he was suffering from a bout of shingles and was as a consequence temporarily photophobic.
                        Ouch!

I've had shingles but not the photophobia

Comment

Working...
                        X