X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pursuivant
    • Jul 2012

What's wrong with a great composer

This year at the Proms there is a large increase in the number of compositions of Joseph Haydn being performed. Last year there were none but this year there is one. Why this vendetta against so great a composer?

Pursuivant
    Last edited by pursuivant; 11-07-12, 21:38. Reason: typo
  • Northender

Hello and welcome to the Forum (said he with all the magisterial authority of somebody who's been a member for only a matter of weeks ).
    There used to be a saying, attributed I believe to concert promoters, that 'Haydn Empties Halls'. I don't know whether that attitude is still prevalent. Given his contribution to the development of the symphony and the string quartet, to name just two musical forms, I think it can be asserted that he is shamefully neglected - and not just at the Proms.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Much as I adore Wolfgang, I prefer Haydn's later symphonies to Mozart's, with the possible exception of No. 39, and his string quartets are wonderful too. It really is odd that live performances are not more common, after all there are countless recorded performances which people still buy.

Comment

• JohnSkelton

Wouldn't have happened when William Glock was in charge - he made a point of programming Haydn's music. It's a great shame, I agree: the RAH isn't a good space to perform C18 / early C19 music (IMO) but that's no excuse.

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by pursuivant View Post
          This year at the Proms there is a large increase in the number of compositions of Joseph Haydn being performed. Last year there were none but this year there is one. Why this vendetta against so great a composer?

Pursuivant

In this year of the Olympics, one might at least have expected performances of the "London" symphony #104, the "Drumroll" symphony #103, the trumpet concerto and, if a British competitor(s) actually won gold, the "Surprise" symphony #84 and the "Miracle" symphony #96.

It would appear that the BBC planners hold "Papa" Haydn in much less regard than his great admirer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart did.

HS

BTW And in my opinion, Haydn's string quartets were the blueprint for all the string chamber music that was to follow - even up to the present day.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Why this vendetta against so great a composer?
            "Vendetta" ????

Hardly ......................

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
              • Nov 2010

Its not just the symphonies of course, there's the choral music, including the magnificent Masses too!

Comment

• aeolium
                • Nov 2010

There used to be a saying, attributed I believe to concert promoters, that 'Haydn Empties Halls'. I don't know whether that attitude is still prevalent.
                John Drummond, when he was in charge of the Proms, said something to the effect of "People in Britain have never taken to Haydn's music", a comment which I still find bizarre (and wrong).

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

The last movement of Haydn symphony 98 was played today in my lovely recording I have by Colin Davis. Wehad a successful thread some time ago and lots of us rated Haydn as Mozart's equal, we could always revive the thread.

His symphonies, particularly, are very important to me when feeling 'low'.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post

In this year of the Olympics, one might at least have expected performances of the "London" symphony #104, the "Drumroll" symphony #103
                    Penultimate night of the Proms - Haydn's London Symphony.

Comment

• JFLL
                      • Jan 2011

Pursuivant
                      Perhaps that's true of the symphonies, but on the other hand we hear some of the splendid piano trios (other than the always popular Gypsy Trio) and some of the piano sonatas much more frequently than previously.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post

In this year of the Olympics, one might at least have expected performances of the "London" symphony #104, the "Drumroll" symphony #103, the trumpet concerto and, if a British competitor(s) actually won gold, the "Surprise" symphony #84 and the "Miracle" symphony #96.

It would appear that the BBC planners hold "Papa" Haydn in much less regard than his great admirer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart did.

HS

BTW And in my opinion, Haydn's string quartets were the blueprint for all the string chamber music that was to follow - even up to the present day.
                        I absolutely agree with you - and I too think Haydn is a very under-rated composer. And I will happily go on playing his wonderful quartets until the end of time. (And some of them are damned hard technically too!)

Best wishes - Ariosto

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                          I absolutely agree with you - and I too think Haydn is a very under-rated composer. And I will happily go on playing his wonderful quartets until the end of time. (And some of them are damned hard technically too!)

Best wishes - Ariosto
                          Don't forget to set some time aside for Olivier Messiaen.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                            Don't forget to set some time aside for Olivier Messiaen.
                            Good one! And I will try not too!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

This year at the Proms there is a large increase in the number of compositions of Joseph Haydn being performed. Last year there were none but this year there is one.

Welcome, pursuivant; I like the cut of your jib! (I have no idea what that actually means, but it sounds apt!)

However, whilst entirely and enthusiastically adding my voice to those wanting much more Haydn at the Proms, I do wonder if we're being led into a cunning trap laid by Ernst Stavro Wright? "By popular demand: the Haydnothon! Five weeks none-stop wallPapa!"?
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X