X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turtlegom
    • Jun 2024

What is the name of the first song played on the BBC Proms 2012 Advert

I would really like to know the name of the first song which is played on the BBC Proms 2012 advert, i have looked all over the internet for this song but alas i have had no luck in finding the advert nor have i found the song, surely there must be someone here who knows the song name or the advert that i am reffering to.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Hello, Turtlegom

I'm sure there is an answer coming up soon (not from me, though!).

Hang on ....
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Turtlegom View Post
      I would really like to know the name of the first song which is played on the BBC Proms 2012 advert, i have looked all over the internet for this song but alas i have had no luck in finding the advert nor have i found the song, surely there must be someone here who knows the song name or the advert that i am reffering to.

Song.Barber, Adagio for strings?

Comment

• Turtlegom

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post

Song.Barber, Adagio for strings?
        Thank you very much for an extremely fast answer, and yes this is the song i have been searching long and hard for this song, much appreciated :3

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Ha! What did I say? And I'd just found the answer myself here.

Here it is ... (Ignore the comments, really ... ignore them )

(Thanks, ER!)
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
            • Nov 2010

It isn't a song. It's a piece of orchestral music. This strange usage is creeping in, along with 'track'. Where did it come from?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
              It isn't a song. It's a piece of orchestral music. This strange usage is creeping in, along with 'track'. Where did it come from?
              From software designed for commercial 'pop' where most tracks are songs. Even composers are referred to as 'performers'.

Comment

• tantris

Welcome to Turtlegom, and I hope you have a long, happy association with this Board. It's worth saying though, that most users here would only use the word "song" to describe a piece with singing in it, usually solo singing, An instrumental or orchestral piece would be referred to as a "piece", possibly a "tune".
                Unfortunately iTunes and other sources which refer to everything as a "song" have caused this mistaken usage to creep in.
                All the best.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by tantris View Post
                  Welcome to Turtlegom, and I hope you have a long, happy association with this Board. It's worth saying though, that most users here would only use the word "song" to describe a piece with singing in it, usually solo singing, An instrumental or orchestral piece would be referred to as a "piece", possibly a "tune".
                  Unfortunately iTunes and other sources which refer to everything as a "song" have caused this mistaken usage to creep in.
                  All the best.
                  Thanks tantris

Welcome Turtlegom! - is this the first time you've heard Barber's Adagio?

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

tracks is what trains run on

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      And where your tears run?

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        In recording terms, 'track' originally referred to the groove:

'a. = groove n. 2c (now rare or Obs.)':

1904 S. R. Bottone Talking Machines & Records 60 We must have some means of controlling or varying the pressure of the stylus of the reproducer on the record, so as to enable it to follow correctly every indentation in the ‘track’.

But the earliest example, according to the OED, of the word meaning an individual item, or section ('hence, a single recorded item (esp. of popular music), which on a long-playing record is a band bounded on both sides by an area of widely-spaced grooves), comes from The Gramophone (no further details as to the recording being referred to),':

1956 Gramophone Dec. 265/1 None of the tracks lives up to the promise of the star-studded personnel.

Comment

Working...
                        X