No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A polite reminder to Kylie and company

Dear Miss/Ms Minogue,
    We note that the concert in Hyde Park on September 8th is currently shown as ending at around 10.30 p.m. Having set a precedent with The Boss and a Beatle, we feel that we shall have no option but to pull the plug, regardless of whoever is performing at the time, should you stray into the designated PSST (Park Silent Session Time). For more details, please go to: https://www.hydepark_someofushavetol...youknow.org.uk
    Thank you.

At 10.30 pm there will be a full performance of John Cage's 4'33" to allow the public enough time to leave the premises.

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
      ? link
      however yesterday tho living well over half a mile away from some pop festival I could still hear to noise inside my house - I guess that what the performers lacked in talent(and they sounded woefully bare to me) they made up for in volume - I can now understand why drugs are reputed to be so common at such events - no one in full possession their mind could stand being near it

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
        ? link
        however yesterday tho living well over half a mile away from some pop festival I could still hear to noise inside my house - I guess that what the performers lacked in talent(and they sounded woefully bare to me) they made up for in volume - I can now understand why drugs are reputed to be so common at such events - no one in full possession their mind could stand being near it

that is so full of assumptions and misconceptions that it's hard to know where to start.............
        allegedly

Comment

? link
          Sorry if the link didn't work. You could try:
          https://www.whoisbrucespringsteenand...ciation.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

that is so full of assumptions and misconceptions that it's hard to know where to start.............
            the noise was real enough - there are many house closer than mine (not exactly open field around here unlike my usual place in Peel) and it must have been horrendous for them - luckily I had a ticket for the Ballet at the RoH where I understand you cannot hear the music from the nearby street - whay are pop festivals exempt from such requirements ?

Comment

the noise was real enough - there are many house closer than mine (not exactly open field around here unlike my usual place in Peel) and it must have been horrendous for them - luckily I had a ticket for the Ballet at the RoH where I understand you cannot hear the music from the nearby street - whay are pop festivals exempt from such requirements ?
              Instant crowd reaction to English National Opera's performance at Glastonbury 2004.

Comment

I'm a surviver of a number of battles about noise from the so called Picnic Concerts at Kenwood, although luckily this year there are none as the house and estate are being refurbished. The worst problem was the deafening fireworks displays every Saturday, and after much bargaining they reduced the number of these. One main objector was Warren Mitchell, whose house is very close to Kenwood. On one occasion, after news of his complaints became known, an MC at one concert asked the crowd to shout " Can you hear me Warren? "

These events are organised more for the corporate hospitality than for the paying public, especially where English Heritage are concerned, and they do not hold themselves responsible for the rest of the Heath outside the Kenwood Estate, so we were left every year with the removal of tons of rubbish, not to mention the damage done by people lighting bonfires under trees.

As for Hyde Park, for once I agree with Simon Jenkins. There has already been huge damage to acres of grass, and of course the Olympic events are still to come. The park is not the place for concerts of any kind, let them use the O2.

Comment

and the relevance of an 8 year old quote ? other than possibly some youngsters may in the future be able to preserve some of their hearing and no doubt created less noise for those outside the bear pit.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    At 10.30 pm there will be a full performance of John Cage's 4'33" to allow the public enough time to leave the premises.
                    Nobody would hear it after the previous assault on their ears.

Comment

LATEST:
                      The John Cage is to be replaced by a video, filmed especially for the occasion, of Simon and Garfunkel miming to 'The Sound of Silence'.

Comment

On the Today programme this morning, in an edifying discussion, it was observed that there are some "small minded people" who don't like "loud noise" in the centre of London (I paraphrase loosely, apart from the bits in quotes). Loud noise? Well, they said it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                          On the Today programme this morning, in an edifying discussion, it was observed that there are some "small minded people" who don't like "loud noise" in the centre of London (I paraphrase loosely, apart from the bits in quotes). Loud noise? Well, they said it.
                          Yes, I heard that news item as well along with what, I believe, purported to be music. Don't get me wrong, I like quite a lot of pop music but what I heard on the radio was awful.

The arrogance of the two contributors was breathtaking but basically sums up a lot of the attitude of many, across all walks of life, which is basically 'Sod You'.

Digressing slightly OT, this lack of basic respect for other people's lives and privacy was brought into sharp relief by a news item that my wife mentioned. I am deliberately not going to give all the details as I don't want to do anything to increase the exposure but basically the story is this. The wife of a farmer sadly died and he created something in remembrance of her. Something known only to close friends and relatives and hidden from view. Until one day some miserable eejit in a microlite looked down and saw it, took photos, told the tabloids, tabloids sent up a helicopter to take even more photos. What was a private memorial is now firmly in the public domain. The total insensitivity of the microlite pilot brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                            On the Today programme this morning, in an edifying discussion, it was observed that there are some "small minded people" who don't like "loud noise" in the centre of London
                            In that case, I would like to sign up as a small-minded person who doesn't like loud noise in the centre of London (or Glastonbury, the Isle of Wight, Reading, Leeds...etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              In that case, I would like to sign up as a small-minded person who doesn't like loud noise in the centre of London (or Glastonbury, the Isle of Wight, Reading, Leeds...etc.)
                              Me too!

Comment

Working...
                              X