Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barenboim/Beethoven Cycle -- BBC Four Fridays

Looks like BBC Four is transmitting the Barenboim / Beethoven cycle ...

Friday 20th • Symphonies Nos 1 & 2
    Saturday 21st • Symphonies Nos 4 & 3

...with presumably more to follow next weekend?

In the past posters have found better audio quality elsewhere than BBC Four.

Apologies - the thread title should NOT say "Fridays" !!!

Perhaps our moderator can kindly fix

Comment

The schedule is:

20th BBC4 live
      21st BBC2 live
      26th BBC4 rec
      27th BBC4 rec
      28th BBC2 rec

Comment

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
        Looks like BBC Four is transmitting the Barenboim / Beethoven cycle ...

Friday 20th • Symphonies Nos 1 & 2
        Saturday 21st • Symphonies Nos 4 & 3

...with presumably more to follow next weekend?

In the past posters have found better audio quality elsewhere than BBC Four.
        Since Freeview BBC HD uses but 128kbps HE-AAC for the 2 channel stereo audio, and Freeview BBC SD uses (IIRC) 256kbps mp2 for its 2 channel stereo audio, you might just get marginally better 2 channel sound from the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
          The schedule is:

20th BBC4 live
          21st BBC2 live
          26th BBC4 rec
          27th BBC4 rec
          28th BBC2 rec
          Actually the 21st July broadast is on BBC4 as well.

Straight after the broadcast of the Ninth on the 28th July, BBC2 is showing Barenboim on Beethoven: Nine Symphonies that Changed the World

Comment

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
            Actually the 21st July broadast is on BBC4 as well.
            What a muddle - you're quite right, tomorrow's (21st) concert is shown on BBC4's schedule but the Proms website says it's on BBC2 - (which will be busy with golf)

Straight after the broadcast of the Ninth on the 28th July, BBC2 is showing Barenboim on Beethoven: Nine Symphonies that Changed the World
            So the BeeB goes to all the trouble to get this great and articulate musician to bring his West Eastern Divan Orch. for a complete Beethoven symphony cycle - and has decided to wait until it's all over before transmitting his (almost certainly illuminating) introduction to the music and musicians? Isn't that absolutely insane?

Comment

For those, like me, who are going to these concerts (I shall be there from Monday on), it's a lot of faffing around to set the DVD recorder. I was hoping to capture both the radio and TV broadcasts so in order to do that I have to faff around with the repeats as well. And all this when I'm not at home!

Then I see that the live 9th on R3 clashes with the BBC4 recording of the previous evening! So all computations are thrown up in the air again!
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                For those, like me, who are going to these concerts (I shall be there from Monday on), it's a lot of faffing around to set the DVD recorder. I was hoping to capture both the radio and TV broadcasts so in order to do that I have to faff around with the repeats as well. And all this when I'm not at home!

Then I see that the live 9th on R3 clashes with the BBC4 recording of the previous evening! So all computations are thrown up in the air again!
                I think President Eisenhower had this covered in " In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless but planning is indispensable"

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  I think President Eisenhower had this covered in " In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless but planning is indispensable"
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                  X