X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnSkelton

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Was Michael Ball NK's or RW's?
    The Proms Archive is online . Nicholas Kenyon was in charge 1996 - 2007 http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/archive/search/1890s. An Evening with Michael Ball was in 2007, so NK's final season http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/archive/s...-ashley-ball/1

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Later posts, including all reinstated ones, are here and that forum is open for the further discussion about Beethoven broadcasts.
      Last edited by french frank; 07-08-12, 15:49. Reason: Clarification: the alternative thread is open for further comments
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

As far as I know, (and apologies if I'm wrong) nobody has commented on Barenboim's conversation with Roger Wright about his (Barenboim's) lifelong relationship with Beethoven. As usual, Barenboim was amiable and informative in his responses to RW's questions, which themselves were well considered and "delivered".

Anyone hear it?
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Yes I heard it - think I mentioned it in one of the concert threads - and agree with your assessment, Ferney. I found it most interesting - and would add 'engaging' to the list of descriptive words about Barenboim's discourse. He talked very specifically about the conductors who have influenced him; of which IIRC Furtwaengler was the most considerable.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            Yes I heard it - think I mentioned it in one of the concert threads - and agree with your assessment, Ferney. I found it most interesting - and would add 'engaging' to the list of descriptive words about Barenboim's discourse. He talked very specifically about the conductors who have influenced him; of which IIRC Furtwaengler was the most considerable.
            I do find DB very fascinating when he is involved in meaningful discussions. I think DB studied conducting a bit with WF when he was quite young. However, I find DB's Beethoven very different to WF's.

I really did not like DB's 9th - although I know a lot of you found it one of the best concerts. I have to admit that I switched off after about 15 minutes because I found the whole thing far too lyrical, and all the edge I associate with that work was missing. It also lacked tension, and that for me was not enough to keep me listening. Probably my loss, but there you are. Normally I'm a great fan of DB, especially in the piano sonatas. (WF's 1954 recording of the 9th is so tense and edgy - and so different to DB's. That may not be a bad thing, there is room for lots of different interpretations of this work, or any other work for that matter).

I would add that I consider the string parts to be very hard for an inexperienced orchestra, as the ability to sustain the sound over the main motif's is very hard and requires a highly developed bowing technique. This applies particularly to the violins and violas, but also too the cellos basses too. This is because of the rhythmic make up of these themes and the downward direction of the pitch. Pretty hard even for a very good and experienced band.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-08-12, 16:57.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              He talked very specifically about the conductors who have influenced him; of which IIRC Furtwaengler was the most considerable.
              Yes; he spoke highly of Klemperer, too (identifying his approach to the Beethoven symphonies as a combination of WF and OK) and gave a wonderful imitation of Barbirolli (who gave him his first opportunity to conduct the Ninth). And I think your "engaging" is a much better description than my "amiable" .

Ari: I agree with your summary of the "tense & edgy" WF 1954 Ninth. I also have a 1944 recording which is positively terrifying in its intensity! After that approach, Barenboim's lyricism comes as a relief: the young orchestra and choir putting the joy back into the "Ode". (Pity about the adult soloists, though! )
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Later posts, including all reinstated ones, are here and that forum is open for the further discussion about Beethoven broadcasts.
                But this new home for the thread means that hardly anyone will come accross it now as it does not show up unless you click on the link.

Comment

Working...
                X