Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juanjo Mena Proms debut

Forgive me if someone has already spotted this, but on hearing a trailer for Juanjo Mena's upcoming second Prom on August 7th, I heard his first Prom on July 17th referred to as his highly successful Proms debut. I clearly remember his Proms debut with the same BBCPO took place in the 2011 Proms season with a programme of (unsurprisigly!) Spanish music with soloist Steven Osborne's not over-subtle rendition of Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain. The concert was televised.
    So when is a Proms debut not a Proms debut?

Oooh-aah!

And here is the evidence from last year's Proms concerts.

Welcome, Kengis
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Kengis View Post
      Forgive me if someone has already spotted this, but on hearing a trailer for Juanjo Mena's upcoming second Prom on August 7th, I heard his first Prom on July 17th referred to as his highly successful Proms debut. I clearly remember his Proms debut with the same BBCPO took place in the 2011 Proms season with a programme of (unsurprisigly!) Spanish music with soloist Steven Osborne's not over-subtle rendition of Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain. The concert was televised.
      So when is a Proms debut not a Proms debut?
      And very good it was too - I got quite excited that he was going to be taking over the BBCPO! There have been some mixed reviews of his Falla recording but I like most of what I've heard of him to date including some things with I think the BergenSO on TTN.

Comment

Did they perhaps say (or neglect to say) that it was his debut as Chief Conductor? He took over in September 2011.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Did they perhaps say (or neglect to say) that it was his debut as Chief Conductor? He took over in September 2011.
          I love your sense of fairness ff giving them the benefit of any doubt!

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Oooh-aah!

And here is the evidence from last year's Proms concerts.

Welcome, Kengis
            Thanks for the welcome and the replies.
            Yes, I would imagine one could promote all kinds of 'firsts' under the label 'debut' with sufficient imagintion and promotional nous.

Comment

Working...
            X