X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suffolkcoastal
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
    I didn't think anyone watched Channel 4 any more. In fact I didn't realise that it was still in existence. In any case, it was always a little too racey and communistic for my palate.
    Not something you could ever accuse David Starkey of being!!!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
      Not something you could ever accuse David Starkey of being!!!
      Stark staring Starkey, he is

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Northender View Post
        On which topic ... has anybody else been watching David Starkey's excellent (IMHO) Channel 4 series on The Churchills, drawing telling parallels between the early 18th and early 21st centuries?
        ... yes - I have - and I have found the series gripping. I now understand Marlborough and his campaigns - and Blenheim, Ramillies, Malplaquet - far better than I did before ( and I thought this was my period ) - and the thesis of Churchill's growing understanding of Marlborough as a preparation for 1939-1945 and beyond was very nourishing...

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Accusor
          I didnae ken that you're Scots...

Accusor to tosser: my excuse is that it was late and I'd had a few! I am now sober and no longer an accuser
          You'd had a few what? Banana split infinitives? No, of course I know what you mean and it's as plausible an excuse as any, though quite how having a few of whatever it was could turn anyone from accuser/accusor to tosser remains unclear. Never mind!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... yes - I have - and I have found the series gripping. I now understand Marlborough and his campaigns - and Blenheim, Ramillies, Malplaquet - far better than I did before ( and I thought this was my period ) - and the thesis of Churchill's growing understanding of Marlborough as a preparation for 1939-1945 and beyond was very nourishing...
            I've watched two, missed the / a middle one; I'd agree totally with that, vindetable
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Having been away I've only just read this thread - I thought it was about Fantasie Proms but I see it's about David Starkey. Now, what would his fantasie prom be I wonder? Churchill series very good I must say. Edit: My fantasie prom would have to include loads of Herve Niquet and his frockcoat and shoes!!!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                British composers such as Alwyn, Arnold, Bliss, Rubbra, Stanford, Potter.

Arnold: Symphony No 7
                Moeran: Violin Concerto
                Holst: Egdon Heath
                Vaughan Williams: Sancta Civitas

I'm dreaming of course, they'll never happen.
                What a great concert that would be.

How about-

Dyson / in honour of the city.

Alwyn / violin concerto.

Lloyd / 4th symphony.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  I didnae ken that you're Scots...

You'd had a few what? Banana split infinitives? No, of course I know what you mean and it's as plausible an excuse as any, though quite how having a few of whatever it was could turn anyone from accuser/accusor to tosser remains unclear. Never mind!
                  This made me laugh, despite my best attempts to have a downer on you

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    My fantasie prom would have to include loads of Herve Niquet and his frockcoat and shoes!!!
                    Not you an' all....!!

Bryn, now Anna.... What is it about Niquet and our Welsh cousins??
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

Following Roehre’s lead (#22), I would like to see (hear) a semi-staged version of Agostino Stefani’s opera Niobe, Tegina di Tebe.

It was performed at Royal Opera House back in 2010 and was broadcast on Radio3 later in the year. King Anfione was played by Jacek Laszczkowski who was said to be a male soprano but I think Iestyn Davies will be very good for the role with his alto voice, and William Christie and Les Arts Florissant in the pit.

Synopsis and photographs published on Radio3 site
                      A rare chance to hear Agostino Steffani's opera Niobe, regina di Tebe.

and here is a sampler, and pretty impressive images from the stage.
                      NIOBE, REGINA DI TEBE, by Agostino Steffani (1654 - 1728)Royal Opera House London Covent Garden Sept. 2010conductor: Thomas Hengelbrockdirector: Lukas Hemleb...

As far as I am aware, there are no recordings of the full opera. A good opportunity for the Proms to show off.

Comment

• edashtav
                        • Jul 2012

Lloyd- Yes but not by George

Several listeners would like to hear some of George Lloyd's music. Not a bad idea, but his music tends to be simplistic & doesn't wear too well. . I'd opt to hear one or more of the "middle" symphonies of Jonathan Lloyd. Quite subtle - I love the way he builds so much from such tiny scraps. His music opens and flowers. Thus, I'm pleased to see the BBC announcing a new work from him for performance next February by the BBC SO under Sir Andrew. .
                        Last edited by edashtav; 10-08-12, 21:42. Reason: to enhance spacing

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

When thinking about ideal conductors for orchestras, Sir Simon and the BBC Symphony Orchestra
                          have often struck me as a partnership made in heaven, likely to draw from each other all the as yet
                          untapped potential of both.

It was good to see Jayne's similar thoughts above with a most intriguing programe for good measure.

Watching tonight's BBC4 prom, I would love to hear Bernard Haitink work with the BBC Philharmonic, not that even
                          the dutch maestro would be likely to provide a more absorbing Bruckner Sixth than Mena tonight.

So:

BBC Philharmonic/Haitink

Elgar: Cockaigne

Elgar: Violin Concerto (Nigel Kennedy)

Shostakovich: Symphony 6

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Not you an' all....!!

Bryn, now Anna.... What is it about Niquet and our Welsh cousins??
                            I haen't a clue what they're on about - maybe I should stay in more!

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                              Several listeners would like to hear some of George Lloyd's music. Not a bad idea, but his music tends to be simplistic & doesn't wear too well. . I'd opt to hear one or more of the "middle" symphonies of Jonathan Lloyd. Quite subtle - I love the way he builds so much from such tiny scraps. His music opens and flowers. Thus, I'm pleased to see the BBC announcing a new work from him for performance next February by the BBC SO under Sir Andrew. .
                              I love both LLoyds and would love to hear of Jonathan's music.

I reach for George's Fourth Symphony perhaps once a year - an absolute belter in the Philharmonia/Downes version.
                              I always think of it as a disc with which to drive to the british seaside. Perhaps its something to do with nearly crashing
                              the car on the way to Great Yarmouth 3-4 years ago when feasting on the granstanding finale at maximum volume.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
                                I'd already guessed from your emotive prose that you write chick lit bodice rippers in your spare time...

(teasing, not serious!)
                                THE CHICKLIT PROM:

KURTAG: Messages of the late Miss R.V. Troussova

SCHOENBERG:The Book of the Hanging Gardens

Benjamin Britten/Cathy Berberian (by special arrangement).

Before the concert Louise Mensch will give a talk on "Schoenberg, Kurtag, and their relevance to Contemporary Romance".

(Spare Time? What's that?)

Comment

Working...
                                X