Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acoustics in the Arena

I am thinking of queueing for an Arena ticket this evening (Berlioz Grand Messe des Morts). This is a big choral work with enormous forces. I am just wondering whether the front of the Arena (assuming I am early enough for that!) might be too far forward for a good acoustic balance. Might half-way back be better? At the Festival Hall I find that from the very front of the stalls, the choir tend to sound a bit thin, and it occurs to me that the Arena might be similar. Any advice would be welcome.

"good acoustic balance"
    &
    Albert Hall

good luck

If it were me i'd stand in the middle and wallow in the enormity of it all

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      ...If it were me i'd stand in the middle and wallow in the enormity of it all
      As the primary meaning of enormity includes atrociousness, outrageousness, incredible horribleness (as well as evilness, immorality and the rest), I guess it applies to the RAH.

Comment

"good acoustic balance"
        &
        Albert Hall

good luck
        A valid point - but it is possible. The Apostles sounded just fine from where I was sat yesterday - in a position that seems fairly preposterous in theory, being sideways-on, almost behind the soloists etc.

The RAH acoustic is very good for some works - in at least 500 of the available 5500 places that is...

You just have to know where. Standing some way back (1/3-1/2 way) in the arena is the best place to hear most things, I just don't have the time for all that queueing any more.

If it were me i'd stand in the middle and wallow in the enormity of it all
        Is pretty much exactly the right advice for the Berlioz Requiem.

Looking at my ticket I appear to be in danger of being sat in the orchestra this evening - not ideal especially given that the 50 extra brass are going to be on stage. Maybe I should take my musicians' ear defenders!

Comment

... many, many years ago I used to go to the Proms.

Then I discovered the radio.

Now I sit in comfort at home, and can actually hear the concerts. Marvellous.

I thoroughly recommend it.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I stood in the centre of the Arena and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I know what you mean, Vinteuil - but I did indeed hear the concert! I shall listen again on the iplayer and will be interested to note any differences in balance from what I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by David-G View Post
              Thank you for the advice. I stood in the centre of the Arena and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I know what you mean, Vinteuil - but I did indeed hear the concert! I shall listen again on the iplayer and will be interested to note any differences in balance from what I heard.
              Was it you wearing the T-shirt with "Relax with an otter" on the back ?

Comment

Not quite my style I am afraid!

(Sorry for the late reply, I have been in Edinburgh these last two weeks.)

Comment

Working...
                X