Michael Cox or The Principal Flute of The BBCSO and his beard!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Cox or The Principal Flute of The BBCSO and his beard!

This may be I credibly random, and may already have been noticed (but I'm slightly drunk on rich red wine...)
    BUT...
    Did anyone notice Mr Cox's FANTASICALLY Elgarian beard tonight on BBC 4? Was it an addition for the Elgar or is this is new look? I can't remember such an awesome hair accessory with the BBCSO ever! Norbert Blume's lovely features excepted!

Made my night...

"Elgarian beard"???
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Fair point... Handle bar moustache with add ons... (blame the wine! Apologies...) but it still made my scream Elgar, especially as I tuned in just to hear this and that wonderful tune at the start... Clears the head!

Comment

Originally posted by MattiRaz View Post
        (but I'm slightly drunk on rich red wine...)
        Matti,

I didn't see this, but your honestly does you great credit.

Perhaps all of us should exhibit such, myself included). (The usual Weissbier for me tonight).

I want to see this Elgarian beard now!

Comment

As Mr FHG pointed out... It was a bit more than Elgarian... But beautiful non the less *note to self: post here more often when sober!* Embrace the honesty...

Comment

*note to self: post here more often when sober!*
            Noted. Though I will forget this after the next drink. Mr fhg is always impeccably mannered whatever his condition (he may be TT for all I know!), unlike my good self.

Last Saturday, I promised the wife I would give up drinking at the weekends. Last Sunday morning I woke up clutching my temples, saying "Christ, I hope I didn't say anything stupid last night!."

Come Monday, I am going to work on cultivating an outlandish Edwardian moustache-beard with add-ons...

Comment

Mr Cox's beard didn't look at all Elgarian to me (EE's wasn't a handle-bar anyway - examine the old ÂŁ20 note, difficult to forge the moustache).

Rather, it resembled an entrant in the world beard championships; though some of the winners wouldn't be able get a flute near their lips.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                Noted. Though I will forget this after the next drink. Mr fhg is always impeccably mannered whatever his condition (he may be TT for all I know!), unlike my good self.

What a great thread this is! Loving your interpolations, Taps! Long time no see

MattiRaz: I am just into the second movement of the Howells on my recording of the BBC4 relay (having been at the concert the other day). It's sounding pretty fab. Haven't espied the bearded one yet, but the eyes are peeled.

I hope you do post more, drunk or sober
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

This may be I credibly random, and may already have been noticed (but I'm slightly drunk on rich red wine...)
                  BUT...
                  Did anyone notice Mr Cox's FANTASICALLY Elgarian beard tonight on BBC 4? Was it an addition for the Elgar or is this is new look? I can't remember such an awesome hair accessory with the BBCSO ever! Norbert Blume's lovely features excepted!

Made my night...
                  Matti - I've clocked him! Pretty fine face fuzz, I agree .... though more of a Nikisch than an Elgar, I think

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Is this what you're talking about?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

*note to self: post here more often when sober!*
                      Why be the odd one out, Matti?

Originally posted by Tapiola
                      Mr fhg is always impeccably mannered whatever his condition (he may be TT for all I know!),
                      Quite right. I never drink tea.

Jean's shown us the facial fungus in question; call me a cynic, but does it look fake to anyone else?!

Comment

I used to have a full set beard many years ago!!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I used to have hair many years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            I never drink tea.
                            You remind me of a classic line in the 1933 (?) Dracula with Mr Lugosi. When offered an alcoholic beverage, he quoth " I never drink... [Luftpause]... wine".

And lovely to hear from you, Mr f!

Perhaps I was a little ahead of myself last night with my intention to go for the hirsute look, though perhaps November will impell me to do the whole testicle-moustache thing.

Scriabin - now there was a moustache.

Got me thinking about composers who would NEVER contemplate such an adornment.

Bruckner, perhaps? Bach?

Even Beethoven, in the odd sketch had the George Michael shadow. And Ravel, in his younger days, went for it.

Most inconvenient that it appears that firewall settings on this blasted machine will not accept image uploads...

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                              And lovely to hear from you, Mr f!
                              And from you, Tapi!

Got me thinking about composers who would NEVER contemplate such an adornment.
                              Avoiding the obvious candidates (Clara Schumann, Fanny Mendelssohn, Cecile Chaminade etc etc - although the Artist Maggie Hambling did sport a rather fetching false moustache in the '80s) it often comes as a shock to see photos of the young, clean-shaven Brahms or of the young Sibelius with his full head of hair and splendid moustache.

Most inconvenient that it appears that firewall settings on this blasted machine will not accept image uploads...
                              Quite! We could also have fun with Photoshop adding/removing whiskers from famous images.

Comment

Working...
                              X