Opening concert of the 2013 Proms will include...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening concert of the 2013 Proms will include...

If you don't want to know then ignore the link and subsequent posts on the thread.

But this artist's future bookings seems to give the game away, strange when normally it's such a secret.

Last edited by Guest; 01-09-12, 17:17.

You'd think/hope that the management of a well known operatic singer would be able to get the name of the music director of the ROH right too. Between that and potentially getting on the wick of the Proms management I hope their fees are unusually reasonable...

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyTheCat View Post
      If you don't want to know then ignore the link.

But this artist's future bookings seems to give the game away, strange when normally it's such a secret.

https://www.maxinerobertson.com/cont...nts/sm-bio.pdf
      Good sleuthing, foxy

Still surfing the waves of 'Hymnus', that will be one to go to next year
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I would very much like to be at this concert. To put it in context, I prefer this mighty work to the one I put my name to...

Comment

Interesting. According to the BBCSSO programme for the 2012-2013 season they aren't doing No.1, so it will presumably be in the 2013-2014 programe. If it's already been done in the 2013 Proms opening concert (by, presumably, the BBCSO) then it's unlikely that the BBCSSO will be doing it in the 2014 Proms. There's no reason to assume that they will be doing all the concerts in the Proms VW symphony series, but as they have made such a superb start (& they are performing them all in their own seasons) it would make sense.

Comment

If I understand it right, the opening night of the 2013 Proms should include RVW Sea Symphony ??
            Never had the opportunity to attend the Proms yet (living in France)... When is the program usually published ? Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebubu View Post
              If I understand it right, the opening night of the 2013 Proms should include RVW Sea Symphony ??
              Never had the opportunity to attend the Proms yet (living in France)... When is the program usually published ? Thanks for the info.
              I don't see the "information" reported, so maybe the content of the pages pointed at has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                I don't see the "information" reported, so maybe the content of the pages pointed at has changed.
                I don't see it either, Dave. The only reference to the Proms appears to be in the 'recent engagements' paragraph.

Reading artist biographies in programmes often gives the game away regarding future programming of concert series and opera seasons. We know, for example, that the last week of July should see a week of Wagner proms, including a Ring cycle from Barenboim and a Tristan & Isolde. The Glyndebourne Prom always takes place just after their festival season finishes - usually Bank Holiday Monday or the following Tuesday, which would seem to suggest either Billy Budd or Don Pasquale. My money would be on the former, to supply a Britten opera in his centenary year.
                Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

information

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  No, I gathered this from Flmosshilde's previous post "According to the BBCSSO programme for the 2012-2013 season they aren't doing No.1, so it will presumably be in the 2013-2014 programe. If it's already been done in the 2013 Proms opening concert (by, presumably, the BBCSO) then it's unlikely that the BBCSSO will be doing it in the 2014 Proms".

In the link before, I only could read a reference to Haydn's Seasons, under the baton of Sir Roger Norrington.

Comment

In the link before, I only could read a reference to Haydn's Seasons, under the baton of Sir Roger Norrington.
                    But it was in fact in the "recent engagements" section, and not in the "future engagements" one.

Comment

When is the program usually published ? Thanks for the info.
                      Last year the programme was published on 19 April and booking opened in the second week of May (and welcome to the forum, btw!).
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thanks, french frank !

Comment

Shouldn't the opening concert be by the winner of last year's proms?

I'm sure it works like that

Comment

Hello Everyone, any news rumour/counter rumour about this years Prom's?

Comment

Working...
                            X