Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suffer the Little Children...

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to see children at the Proms but my heart sank on Aug 31 when a mother and two boys aged, I would say, 6 and 8 came and sat next to me in H stalls for the BPO/Rattle Prom. All my worst fears were confirmed. They were misbehaving from the off and were a constant disruption to me and patrons both behind and in front. The Brahms PC2 was comprehensively ruined. Mysteriously, the younger one failed to appear for the second half and that was relatively trouble free.

Now Brahms and Lutoslawski are pretty strong meat for any music-lover but this mother was indulging in either gross stupidity or child abuse in expecting two young lads to sit through some tough fayre.

Perhaps I should have made my feelings known?

The Albert Hall will refuse admission to children under 5 for sensible reasons but these two should never have been allowed within a mile of the place.

If anyone on here knows who I am talking about please thank them for ruining this fine concert. That and the ever present coughing buffoons are making me seriously question for the first time in 40 years whether the huge expense of rail travel, hotel bills and concert ticket is any longer worth the hassle.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

"My music is best understood by children and animals"

Wait until someone smuggles in their Chihuahuas!

But I do agree, it's inconsiderate to others, themselves, and to their children.
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
      "My music is best understood by children and animals"

Wait until someone smuggles in their Chihuahuas!

But I do agree, it's inconsiderate to others, themselves, and to their children.
      Was waiting for that! Should have had Stravinsky on the programme but I think even that would have failed with these two terrors.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

We were in a Second Tier box for the Trojans and in the neighbouring box there was a woman with two young children. They weren't noisy or misbehaving but were paying no attention to the music at all. They were gone after the first interval. Difficult to grasp why anyone would take children to such a long and fairly demanding concert.

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that live music has the edge, but.....

At The Apostles and for the Berlioz Requiem, I had serious programme shufflers sittine behind me. One of them, I was convinced, was producing origami. However, in both cases they were very elderly gents, who obviously got more from interrogating the programme than concentrating on the music.
          Coughing, absent minded, is a serious problem. Opera Houses and concert hall really need to educate the audience - 30 years ago I learnt a clean handkerchief over the mouth abates the noise of an unavoidablecough.
          Although it has been getting very bad recently, problems with fellow members of the audience have been present for a long time - it must be about 30 years since I had to protest as a young lady tore the wrapper of a Mars Bar at the moment Janet Baker took the stage for part 2 of Gerontius (RFH/Sveltlanov).

Comment

Perhaps the small children had a parent in the orchestra, though the children of musicians usually know how to behave. I always try to be tolerant about children, hard as it can be. I'm just so pleased their parents think real music's important for them.

I'm not very tolerant about misbehaving adults, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Smith View Post
              Although it has been getting very bad recently, problems with fellow members of the audience have been present for a long time - it must be about 30 years since I had to protest as a young lady tore the wrapper of a Mars Bar at the moment Janet Baker took the stage for part 2 of Gerontius (RFH/Sveltlanov).
              ... o, I think a young lady with a Mars Bar infinitely preferable to Gerontius ...

But then, almost anything is preferable to Gerontius.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Smith View Post
                A Maa-ars Baaa-aaar?? (thank you, Dame Edith !)

It wasn't Marianne Faithfull was it?

And who's Sveltlanov? Svelte was the last adjective I'd ever have thought of in relation to the mighty Yevgeny Svetlanov
                Last edited by Guest; 04-09-12, 17:19. Reason: colons

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... o, I think a young lady with a Mars Bar infinitely preferable to Gerontius ...

But then, almost anything is preferable to Gerontius.
                  I'm saying nuffing Keef

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    A Maa-ars Baaa-aaar?? (thank you, Dame Edith !)

It wasn't Marianne Faithfull was it?

And who's Sveltlanov? Svelte was the last adjective I'd ever have thought of in relation to the mighty Yevgeny Svetlanov
                    No it was another bit of press fiction that sounded more fun than the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      No it was another bit of press fiction that sounded more fun than the truth.
                      You a subscriber to The People's Friend then cloughie?

Comment

Working...
                      X