Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir Henry Wood - founder of the Proms

As the Founder of the Proms, perhaps it would be an opportune time to take a look at this remarkable man. Not only did he found the Henry Wood Promenade Concerts, but he also conducted nearly all the concerts himself – an amzing achievement by any standard, but his reputation for high musical standards remained. His organisational skills appear to have been in class of their own too.
    Nowadays some of his orchestrations are still played, notably his Fantasia on British Sea Songs and his version of Mussorgsky’s Pictures from an Exhibition.

And then there were the Prommers’ affectionate messages for Jessie Wood, which continued for the rest of her life.

I didn't know the prommers kept in touch with Jessie Wood, although I remember her at rehearsals. Do you have any details re the messages EA and when did she die?

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Do you have any details re the messages EA and when did she die?
      I don't think the Prommers were "in touch" with her, but they would chant a message to her during the conductor's speech on the Last Night. I can't find anything about her though.

Comment

well, actually, the real founder was.....

......Robert Newman, the stockjobber who hired Henry Wood for "Mr Robert Newman's Promenade Concerts". It's most unfortunate that Newman has been relegated to the historical sidelines, never rating a mention in the Last Night speech. True, Newman never conducted a Promenade Concert, but he did hire HJW, and thus laid the foundation for what still goes on 117 years later. I would love to see a conductor one of these days acknowledge both Sir Henry Wood and Robert Newman in a Last Night speech. But there's virtually no chance of that happening, IMHO, unless someone puts the idea in Sakari Oramo's head for when he does his 1st Last Night (my guess there will be 2014).

Comment

Sadly even Sir Henry is almost airbrushed out of history, with the huge banner "BBC PROMS" completely eclipsing the relatively tiny bust of the great man.

Comment

As you know EA I am old enough to remember the people who worked with and acknowledged Sir Henry in their last n ight speeches.

And there was that strange message from outer space recently re. Avril Wood and the holidays the Wood family spent in Garmisch, near the sender's family.

The only book on Wood that I still have is by 'Lady' Jessie and still a good read. It's the same with Elgar. he was known to Sargent,
            Boult and many other musicians ansd seemed to be 'in the next room' to me, the personal links still strong. I suppose it's inevitable but a disgrace that the BBC don't reinstate Sir Henry Wood to the position he held before all the recent dumbing down.

No-one seems bothered as to whether we call them the Henry Wood Proms in the future, apparently.
            Last edited by salymap; 14-10-12, 19:11.

Comment

Working...
            X