Which concerts were televised and which not?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which concerts were televised and which not?

Is there a list somewhere? I have stumbled upon many videos of this year's proms here and there around the inter-web, but not - so far - the example I would most like to see: concert number forty-one. Were - for instance - the Gurrelieder televised? Surely they - of all items - with their gigantic forces - should pre-eminently have been. I have seen advertised (but of course not retrieved) from this year's series video versions of a lot of popular and nasty non-classical music - of the kind that must make Sir Henry turn in his grave -, but no Gurrelieder.

Is this what you seek?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Yes indeed thank you it is just the thing. But - I do so disapprove of a) the national youth "jazz" orchestra (thirty seconds of which I have in fact watched before it sickened me), b) the Wallace and Gromits (I have no idea what this is but have the feeling it is best to remain in profound ignorance), c) the broadway sound - ugh! d) Desert Island discs (probably all talk), and e) the Bernstein Mass (I do not regard him as having been a classical composer of any worth).

On the other hand I have already watched the Turangalîla with the Youth Orchestra and found it totally enthralling.

And the Novello although borderline was interesting.

But I would forgive all the above horrors if they - whoever "they" are - had only had the sense to televise the Gurrelieder with those tiered horns!

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
        ...but no Gurrelieder.
        Curiously a performance of Gurrelieder was televised when it was performed at the Proms a few years ago. (I probably have a DVD recording of it somewhere.)

[Edit] I'm shocked to find that the performance I mentioned occurred back in 2002.

Comment

Yes indeed thank you it is just the thing. But - I do so disapprove of a) the national youth "jazz" orchestra (thirty seconds of which I have in fact watched before it sickened me), b) the Wallace and Gromits (I have no idea what this is but have the feeling it is best to remain in profound ignorance), c) the broadway sound - ugh! d) Desert Island discs (probably all talk), and e) the Bernstein Mass (I do not regard him as having been a classical composer of any worth).

On the other hand I have already watched the Turangalîla with the Youth Orchestra and found it totally enthralling.

And the Novello although borderline was interesting.

But I would forgive all the above horrors if they - whoever "they" are - had only had the sense to televise the Gurrelieder with those tiered horns!
          Yippee - I'm not the only one who gets fed up with these hideous themed concerts. The 'Dr Who' Prom from a year or two back was so awful as to be embarrassing, while on the other hand, the 'Evolution' Prom from 2009 included some good music, not least the UK premier of Jon Leifs' Hekla (which had the benefit of drowning out the howling babies and chattering kids), but wasn't televised.
          I agree with you regarding Gurrelieder; that would have made for a fascinating watch, but then similarly, they chose to NOT televise Brians' Gothic symphony last year. Bizarre.

Comment

a - agree.
            b - agree.
            c - agree
            d - agree
            e - an outrageous slur!!
            Last edited by Guest; 10-09-12, 09:05.

Comment

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
              a - agree.
              b - agree.
              c - agree
              d - an outrageous slur!!
              But what about point e?

Comment

Originally posted by techniquest View Post
                But what about point e?
                Sorry. I have edited my previous post!

Comment

Another year buy the Radio Times the week before the proms start. There is a handy pull-out giving TV details.

Comment

Working...
                  X