X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 46 (16.8.12): Vaughan Williams – Symphonies Nos. 4, 5 & 6

Thursday 16 August at 7.30 p.m.
    Royal Albert Hall

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 4 in F minor (30 mins)
    Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 5 in D major (39 mins)
    Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 6 in E minor (31 mins)

BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
    Andrew Manze conductor

Over the next few seasons, Andrew Manze directs all 9 of the Vaughan Williams symphonies with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, of which he is Associate Guest Conductor: "Vaughan Williams is one of those composers some people have fixed ideas about... I'm on a bit of a mission to rehabilitate him in people's minds as an important figure in the music-making of this country'. Tonight he tackles three differently powerful works of the 1930s & '40s, which, whatever their own emotional back stories, may still be seen as chronicling our national life in troubled times.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 01-08-12, 22:28.

Looking forward to attending this one, although 69 minutes of symphonies in the first half might leave me craving a large glass of white wine in the interval !

Comment

There will be a live relay on BBC Four - if you prefer your VW punctuated by two (or more) intervals of your own choosing, courtesy of the PVR!

Comment

Originally posted by mrbouffant View Post
        Looking forward to attending this one, although 69 minutes of symphonies in the first half might leave me craving a large glass of white wine in the interval !
        I'm going too. Yes to a glass or two
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Really looking forward to this Prom, ever since it was announced - on paper at least the highlight of the season for me so really hope it doesn't disappoint. Regrettably I cannot attend, but I hope anyone who does is able to enjoy a cracking good concert.

Comment

I'll be there, trains permitting. Will have to dash straightaway at the end to try and get the 11pm from Liverpool Street or the 11.30, good job I've got the Friday off work! Would be nice to meet any fellow MBs that are going. I believe RVW Society members are having a little get together before the concert, I may pop along to that.

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
              Really looking forward to this Prom, ever since it was announced - on paper at least the highlight of the season for me so really hope it doesn't disappoint. Regrettably I cannot attend, but I hope anyone who does is able to enjoy a cracking good concert.
              Agreed AmpH,this looks to be the pick of the whole season,at least it's on telly.

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                I believe RVW Society members are having a little get together before the concert,
                I am a member of the RVW Society,but can't be there regrettably.
                I wonder how many members there are on here?

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  I am a member of the RVW Society,but can't be there regrettably.
                  I wonder how many members there are on here?
                  I am a member ER , but haven't as yet been to any of the gatherings.

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                    I am a member ER , but haven't as yet been to any of the gatherings.
                    I've been a member since day 1 but never been to a meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      Agreed AmpH,this looks to be the pick of the whole season,at least it's on telly.
                      Though only on BBC FOUR standard definition, with no early hours repeat this year. Strange how the Saturday evening BBC2 Proms get a BBC HD repeat a few hours later, but no so the Thursday and Friday BBC Four offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbouffant View Post
                        I'll be there,too - a brilliant conception - but will I last the course?

Comment

If I could have got to one concert at this years Proms this was it , My three favourite RVW Symphonies all in one concert , sadly it will be just the Iplayer , but how much I would love to have been in the Promenaders standing area, Enjoy it, those who are there.
                          PS. All this from an Elgarian , But British music at its best which I want to hear at the BBC Proms.
                          Last edited by ucanseetheend; 14-08-12, 15:25.
                          "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

This is likely to be my Proms highlight as well -- can't wait! I do wish the beautiful Fifth would have a spot on its own, though. There's going to be a lot of rustling and general fidgeting in the hall, which only does that wonderful work a disservice.

I wonder if in the coming seasons there will be a Sea Symphony/Sinfonia Antarctica pairing. Perhaps turn up the air-con at intermission?

Comment

Originally posted by prokkyshosty View Post
                              This is likely to be my Proms highlight as well -- can't wait! I do wish the beautiful Fifth would have a spot on its own, though. There's going to be a lot of rustling and general fidgeting in the hall, which only does that wonderful work a disservice.

I wonder if in the coming seasons there will be a Sea Symphony/Sinfonia Antarctica pairing. Perhaps turn up the air-con at intermission?
                              If your neck got cold, you could always try a Job's Comforter.

Comment

Working...
                              X