X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 67 (1.9.12): Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra – Mendelssohn

Saturday 1 September at 7.30 p.m.
    Royal Albert Hall

Mendelssohn: Overture 'Ruy Blas' (8 mins)
    Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E minor (27 mins)
    Mendelssohn: Overture 'The Fair Melusine' (10 mins)
    Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 5 in D major, 'Reformation' (27 mins)- UK premiere of original version

Nikolaj Znaider violin
    Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra
    Riccardo Chailly conductor

In the first of their two Proms the dynamic Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra under Riccardo Chailly perform four works by Mendelssohn: the well-known overture Ruy Blas based on Victor Hugo's blood-and-thunder play, and the lesser known overture about the mermaid The Fair Melusine which Mendelssohn referred to as "the most intimate thing" he produced. The Danish violinist Nikolaj Znaider is the soloist in the ever-popular Violin Concerto. The Prom ends with the UK premiere of the original version of the Fifth Symphony, a work written in celebration of the Lutheran Reformation..

The Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra is one of the oldest symphony orchestras in the world. Mendelssohn became their music director in 1835 and held the position until his death in 1847. Riccardo Chailly has been its conductor since 2005.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 26-08-12, 12:18.

This is one I've been looking forward to. Not sure what the 'original version' will entail in substance, as my knowledge has just run out!

Comment

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
      This is one I've been looking forward to.
      As I am
      Not sure what the 'original version' will entail in substance, as my knowledge has just run out!
      Then you are in for some surpises, as is the case in most of the older versions of Mendelssohn works. Chailly has recorded some for Decca (quite) recently, i.a. a completely different Hebrides overture.

Comment

What a delightful first half. Znaider was superb IMO and beautifully accompanied . I did not quite pick up any major differences in the original Ruy Blas.

Comment

Silly perhaps to make any comparison with this afternoon's organ recital; but Znaider, playing a well-known classic, did not try to do anything original or iconoclastic; he (and the orchestra) just let the music speak for itself. Absolutely wonderful. Thank you.

Comment

It's difficult to recall another all Mendelssohn orchestral concert either at the Proms or elsewhere. A wonderful idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              It's difficult to recall another all Mendelssohn orchestral concert either at the Proms or elsewhere. A wonderful idea.
              In a way as revelatory as the RVW 3-symphony Prom earlier in the season. Chailly and the Gewandhaus had spring-cleaned the texts, ignored the Victorian cobwebs that have for so long obscured Mendelssohn in GB, and taken scrupulous care over clarity of rhythms and internal balance.

The early version of the Reformation Symphony made a good case for ignoring Mendelssohn's doubts and revisions. I liked the scale of the playing: nothing was overblown or over-inflated. The lightness of touch in the Scherzo was delicious and I was warmed by the extended, beautifully played flute solo arioso in the slow movement. And, as lover of overtures, so often squeezed from modern programmes, how lovely to hear two winners in one evening.

A great taster for tomorrow's [ very different ] concert that I expect to hear in the flesh.

Comment

I liked the scale of the playing: nothing was overblown or over-inflated. The lightness of touch in the Scherzo was delicious and I was warmed by the extended, beautifully played flute solo arioso in the slow movement.
                Hear, hear.

The Fair Melusine is a lovely concert overture. We programmed it recently, but were very hard-pushed to write a coherent programme note about the 'story' !

Comment

I agree with most of the comments above. A wonderful concert which happily made up for the afternoon prom.

According to the programme, the original versions of both overtures and the Reformation symphony that were played tonight were editions made by Christopher Hogwood in 2009.

What was the brass instrument next to the contra-bassoon in the last movement of the symphony? According to Wikipedia, Mendelssohn specified a serpent, but it certainly wasn't one of those. An ophicleide perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard J. View Post
                    I agree with most of the comments above. A wonderful concert which happily made up for the afternoon prom.

According to the programme, the original versions of both overtures and the Reformation symphony that were played tonight were editions made by Christopher Hogwood in 2009.

What was the brass instrument next to the contra-bassoon in the last movement of the symphony? According to Wikipedia, Mendelssohn specified a serpent, but it certainly wasn't one of those. An ophicleide perhaps?
                    I think it was a euphonium although it did seem to have a longer bell than usual - I don't think it was an ophicleide as they are valved like a woodwind and this had piston valves as far as I could see.

A very enjoyable concert - and best joke of the season so far after the violin encore - well at we got to hear some Bach at last

amac

Comment

Brass instrument

Originally posted by Richard J. View Post
                      I'd have said it was a saxhorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravensbourne View Post
                        I'd have said it was a saxhorn.
                        From Wikipedia
                        Contemporary works featuring this instrument are Désiré Dondeyne's "Tubissimo" for bass tuba or saxhorn and piano (1983) and Olivier Messiaen's "Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum" (1984).

so maybe all will be revealed tonight ! From the pictures it looks to be a better fit than the Euphonium.

amac

Comment

A delight from start to finish - my highlight of the whole season .

Comment

A fresh and engaging approach without any sense of having to reinvent the wheel a la maniere jeudi soir.

Comment

I have e-mailed the orchestra manager to find out what the instrument was as I was interested in this myself. Will let you know the response. (I wd opt for ophecleide - it doesn't look like any euphonium I've seen - perhaps it was a specially manufactured valve ophecleide, designed to be played by one of the reduntant tuba players),

Comment

Working...
                              X