Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troughs and watering holes near the Albert Hall

I thought it might be worth having a dedicated thread about places to obtain refreshment within striking distance of the Proms.

It was prompted by having an excellent and very good value lunch not far away, on Friday, at the Kensington branch of a chain called CÔTE. It was excellent!

At Côte, we’re all about attention to detail. From the first crumble of the croissant to the expertly grilled Côte de Boeuf, we put our all into making every day more special.

A lovely room with a great atmosphere and good acoustics & table spacing (i.e. a buzz of happy diners but not noisy, you can hear what the people at your table are saying but not those at the neighbouring tables), delightful staff, little details just right like delicious bread served warm with great butter... and above all, great value: when you download the menu via the above link, look bottom left, at the words:

Lunch & Early Evening Menu Monday - Friday 12 noon - 7.00pm
    2 courses £9,95 or 3 courses £11,90

I notice on the thread about Simon Heffer, Ammy speaks of '2 courses for £20-25' being good value. Well fill your boots here.

We went with the £11.90 lunch menu on Friday, and had

- scrumptious soup made with new English asparagus
    - great steak and top class frites
    - THE best crème caramel I have ever had!

There are good value wines for those so inclined.

Enthusiastically recommended. I'd go so far as to call it "a gem".

Bon appétit.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    I thought it might be worth having a dedicated thread about places to obtain refreshment within striking distance of the Proms.

It was prompted by having an excellent and very good value lunch not far away, on Friday, at the Kensington branch of a chain called CÔTE. It was excellent!

At Côte, we’re all about attention to detail. From the first crumble of the croissant to the expertly grilled Côte de Boeuf, we put our all into making every day more special.

A lovely room with a great atmosphere and good acoustics & table spacing (i.e. a buzz of happy diners but not noisy, you can hear what the people at your table are saying but not those at the neighbouring tables), delightful staff, little details just right like delicious bread served warm with great butter... and above all, great value: when you download the menu via the above link, look bottom left, at the words:

I notice on the thread about Simon Heffer, Ammy speaks of '2 courses for £20-25' being good value. Well fill your boots here.

Bon appétit.
    I've eaten here too Caliban although on the evening in question there was a large and very noisy party. The food, wine,choice and value-for money make these menus the business

My reference to £20-£25 lunches was aimed at the sort of classy joint that Roger might feel were called for, but you're right Cotes does a fine job, as do the various branches of Brasserie Blanc.

Sadly there does not appear to be a branch within hailing distance of SW7 so all the above is OT

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      My reference to £20-£25 lunches was aimed at the sort of classy joint that Roger might feel were called for
      I know ... just wanted to show I was paying attention at the back

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Cotes does a fine job, as do the various branches of Brasserie Blanc.

Sadly there does not appear to be a branch within hailing distance of SW7 so all the above is OT
      I've eaten at the BB at the back of the Festival Hall - it didn't give me the same warm feeling and desire to go back (food a bit ordinary, and rather a noisy tiled room, I remember, and lots of clattering of plates etc. Other branches may be better)

Comment

Côte sounds good - a cut above Café Rouge (if there is one nearby anyway)? Must admit I dived out of the Gallery day queue and ate swiftly in the RAH's Café Consort (I think it was) but I expect Philip T will tell me that:

a) I shouldn't have and
        b) I shouldn't have

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Hoping to make a couple of concerts this year, and could be tempted to proper food at those prices.
          I once arrived late and hungry at the RAH, to see Franz Ferdinand, and bought a sandwich.
          Didn't have time to ask Philip T if that was ok.

never had to ask for easy payments on a snack before.

Great tip chaps......
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Hoping to make a couple of concerts this year, and could be tempted to proper food at those prices.
            I once arrived late and hungry at the RAH, to see Franz Ferdinand, and bought a sandwich.

never had to ask for easy payments on a snack before.

Great tip chaps......
            A few years ago I used to use a Polish restaurant - come out of the Gore and go back down Exhibition road and at the bottom, over the main road it was opposite. Ice cold Zywiec, Lech & Tyskie and reasonably priced Polish nosh! bet it's gone now

Comment

Bon appétit.
              Cheers for this Cali, might give it a try. I don't really go in for those value £20 - £25 good value places that Guardian readers go for

Comment

[COLOR="#0000FF"]I thought it might be worth having a dedicated thread about places to obtain refreshment within striking distance of the Proms.

Thanks, Caliban. It should also be good for dining before heading to Opera Holland Park.

I also enjoy a visit to Carluccio's, within a stone's throw of High Street Kensington tube station - good pasta, reasonably priced. I can recommend the 'tasting trio' - three taster portions of their pasta dishes.

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                  Thanks, Caliban. It should also be good for dining before heading to Opera Holland Park.

I also enjoy a visit to Carluccio's, within a stone's throw of High Street Kensington tube station - good pasta, reasonably priced. I can recommend the 'tasting trio' - three taster portions of their pasta dishes.

http://www.carluccios.com/restaurant...eet-kensington

Yes Carluccio's is another good one - the branch in the oasis of St Christopher's Place is now the place we tend to go before / after Wigmore concerts

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

But you arrived late - I'd been queuing and had already got my raffle ticket (but I was very quick).
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      But you arrived late - I'd been queuing and had already got my raffle ticket (but I was very quick).
                      I feel sure that you only transgressed some of the more minor proms regs, FF, though of course ignorance of the law is no defence, IIRC.Caliban can confirm f'sure.

Incidentally,now I think about it, never heard them call out the winning raffle number......

Perhaps Philip T can confirm when the winners get drawn..........
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Ignorance is certainly no defence, but talking of ignorance I have no clue what you two are on about. Who is Philip T?

Comment

Ignorance is certainly no defence, but talking of ignorance I have no clue what you two are on about. Who is Philip T?
                          Prommer extraordinaire and writer of our Advice to a first-time Prommer.
                          Perhaps Philip T can confirm when the winners get drawn.....
                          All right. Cloakroom ticket but I didn't leave my coat anywhere either.

Comment

Prommer extraordinaire and writer of our Advice to a first-time Prommer.

Comment

Prommer extraordinaire and writer of our Advice to a first-time Prommer.All right. Cloakroom ticket but I didn't leave my coat anywhere either.

you need your wits about you when promming. i guess its part of the price we pay, along with the fiver.

Comment

Working...
                              X