Beethoven 7 - Oh that dreadful applause between movements!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven 7 - Oh that dreadful applause between movements!

Does it drive anyone else as insane as it does me? Why does the audience feel compelled to do this? It ruins live music-going for me and now they have ruined tonight's broadcast with clapping between every single movement of Beethoven's 7th. Can people simply no longer leave a gap - I thought they would be at least outwitted by the quasi-attacca third and fourth movements but, no, proceedings held up again by inane clapping.
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

yes, I hate it too. one or two conductors from my past - Sargent and Beecham certainly, had no truck with it. A raised hand, a glare from Tommy, a short comment, stopped it. Anyway it didn't seem to happen as often then.

It completely spoils the thought/anticipation of what is to come.

Comment

I used to get terribly worked up about this, but to be honest, don't much care any more. Let's face it, there is going to be inter-movement noise anyway so it's neither here nor there whether it's a mass clearing of 5000 throats or few hands brought together.

Look at it that way, Karafan, or it won't do the blood pressure any good! By the way, I agree it's inane but there's no shortage of inanity about these days. Bryn will be along shortly to remind you that that's what they did in Beethoven's day anyway.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Rather sad how easily some listener's musical concentration is distracted. As for all that stamping of feet and shouting during the de Falla ...

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Rather sad how easily some listener's musical concentration is distracted. As for all that stamping of feet and shouting during the de Falla ...
          Last night , there was clapping between movements of Stravinsky's Piano Concerto. Now... that must be a world first!

Comment

When is some prestigious conductor going to turn round to tell them to shut-up?

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              When one of them forgets who pays the piper, perhaps. Frankly I find the annual "I know best when to applaud" threads pretty inane,
              Last edited by Bryn; 02-08-13, 21:01.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                Some conductors do just that, indirectly through their body language.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  I used to get terribly worked up about this, but to be honest, don't much care any more. Let's face it, there is going to be inter-movement noise anyway so it's neither here nor there whether it's a mass clearing of 5000 throats or few hands brought together.

Look at it that way, Karafan, or it won't do the blood pressure any good! By the way, I agree it's inane but there's no shortage of inanity about these days. Bryn will be along shortly to remind you that that's what they did in Beethoven's day anyway.
                  Clearing throats is acceptable and sometimes necessary, as indeed the orchestra or soloist needing a quick retune, clapping is just sheer ignorance. Maybe you've accepted the clapping as part of the modernisation of Radio 3 along with the celebs, tweeting and audience participation - I'm still annoyed about all these things.

Comment

Falla, please. (Or Manuel de Falla if you must) But I agree about all that stamping. For me, ballet belongs in the theatre with the dancers in front of a backdrop, not a sweating orchestra.

HS

Comment

When one of them forgets who pays the piper, perhaps. Frankly I find the annual "I know best when to applaud" threads pretty inane,
                      I agree. If some members of the audience are unaware of the so-called "etiquette" of concert attendance, it is very likely because the Proms are doing their job in attracting first-time listeners to "classical" music.

We music lovers are all aware of the need to increase our following by any means that brings success.

HS

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                        Some conductors do just that, indirectly through their body language.
                        Yes they do and rightly so, but the "unwashed" are completely devoid of any realisation of anything that is less subtle than a kick in the nuts.

Comment

The thoroughly unmusical snobbery being displayed here is pretty sickening, in my view.

Comment

It's just that I feel when you pay good money for a quality product, you don't want the continuity and requisite concentration to be spoiled by - and I stress - a few, who treat the occasion like a football match in what is the equivalent of cheering a near-goal, for example. That's fine - I've done it myself (no less!) but a symphony, concerto or whatever is a different kettle of fish. It is nothing to do with snobbery, but merely correct behaviour and etiquette that befits the occasion. Not a big ask.

Comment

No, it is not "merely correct behaviour and etiquette that befits the occasion", it's just a fashion, a rather modern 'tradition'. Applause during active performance is both unfortunate and usually quickly recognised by those who engage in it as inappropriate. That between separate, non-attacca, movements on a multi-movement work (where re-tuning and/or shuffling and coughing is commonplace) is quite another matter. The expressions here of disdain for such applause is indeed nothing short of snobbery.

Comment

Working...
                              X