Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 69 - help, please!

After the Beethoven at the first of last night's Proms, Christian Ihle Hadland played a rather charming encore. I couldn't name it, but reckoned it was probably by Byrd (or possibly Gibbons or Bull). No-one else knew what it was either, so when I got home I i-played it only to hear the announcer claim it to have been Couperin's Le Tic-toc-Choc. It certainly wasn't that (I know the piece quite well) and I remain convinced that it was an English harpsichord piece; but the Beeb hasn't responded to my email query.

It's hardly a major issue, but it's irritating me. Can anyone help, please?

David Nice seemed to think it was Couperin - though he may have been going by the BBC information. I have Le Tic-Tac-Choc, but will probably be only able, at best, to say, 'It wasn't that', rather help with the identification.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Hi jillfc, yes - Andrew McG corrected himself on Twitter last night:

Andrew McGregor ‏@andrewCDmcg Lovely encore from Mr Hadland @bbcproms ...but I mis-attributed it! Not Couperin: Galliard by William Byrd. Bruckner 4 next: Romantic

Hope that helps!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Hi jillfc, yes - Andrew McG corrected himself on Twitter last night:

Andrew McGregor ‏@andrewCDmcg Lovely encore from Mr Hadland @bbcproms ...but I mis-attributed it! Not Couperin: Galliard by William Byrd. Bruckner 4 next: Romantic

Hope that helps!
        Helps me too - I was just about to say, no, it wasn't Le tic-toc-choc. AMcG did say 'I think it was..', though he seemed clear it was Couperin. Perhaps that was what was originally notified - should there be an encore.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Very many thanks. (It's nice to be right!) And apologies - particularly to you, ff - for my long absence both from these messageboards and from the general for3 scene: sometimes life gets in the way.

Comment

Further to this - a quick check through my old but still serviceable Dover edition of My Lady Nevells Booke reveals the piece in question to be the 6th galliard. A subtle and elegant choice by Mr Hadland, I think. But Mr McGregor (for whom I have much respect) really should have spotted that it wasn't le tic-toc etc, which must surely tie with les barricades mysterieuses for the position of best-known Couperin keyboard piece, at least in these islands.

Anyway, thanks to Caliban & ff for resrtoring peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
            X