Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
    Depends what you mean by at the expense of. There are probably fewer live broadcasts from EIF, but we are now getting deferred ones of course. As to cost, they've block-booked the RAH for 8 weeks and gone to the trouble of rigging it (there is some additional rigging and unrigging each time for televised concerts, but the radio setup remains basically the same throughout the season as I understand it), so the marginal cost of an extra concert there is probably less than setting up to broadcast from somewhere else.

The BBC does after all fund the Proms, unlike other concert series/festivals so it could be argued they have some duty to get the best value for money out of it.
    What I meant by at the expense of was that 69 concerts (2013) presumably cost more than 52 (1969) to stage and that something has to give from somewhere else. The Cadogan Hall chamber music concerts are I think a fairly recent innovation and though I welcome them there are other chamber music festivals going on in the summer - and another hall has to be booked. I think there are not only fewer live broadcasts from EIF but fewer deferred ones, especially the orchestral concerts from the Usher Hall. Of course the BBC funds the Proms but the question is how many and at what cost. The EIF is a hugely important British festival and despite the BBC's trumpeting about the greatness of the Proms as a festival the EIF certainly matches it and often exceeds it for quality though over a much shorter timescale. I think this used to be recognised by those at the BBC but now does not appear to be, and I am sorry for it.

Comment

I also recall a time when the morning concerts at the Queen's Hall were filmed during the EIF. Indeed, I've recently transferred an off-air video to DVD: 25th August 2002. BBC 4, 10.10, Stephanie Hughes introduces a chamber concert of music by Smetana, Janacek and Dvorak by the Janacek Str. Qt at the Queen's Hall. BBC 2, 20.00 hrs, Proms 2002, live from the RAH, Kirov Orch of St Petersburg's Marinsky Theatre/Gergiev. Concert includes DSCH 4.

Where there's a will...

Comment

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
        What I meant by at the expense of was that 69 concerts (2013) presumably cost more than 52 (1969) to stage and that something has to give from somewhere else. The Cadogan Hall chamber music concerts are I think a fairly recent innovation and though I welcome them there are other chamber music festivals going on in the summer - and another hall has to be booked. I think there are not only fewer live broadcasts from EIF but fewer deferred ones, especially the orchestral concerts from the Usher Hall. Of course the BBC funds the Proms but the question is how many and at what cost. The EIF is a hugely important British festival and despite the BBC's trumpeting about the greatness of the Proms as a festival the EIF certainly matches it and often exceeds it for quality though over a much shorter timescale. I think this used to be recognised by those at the BBC but now does not appear to be, and I am sorry for it.

A couple of years ago (or possibly more - time flies ) Ao3 had a 'strand' with performances (not concerts as they had happened) from various festivals round the UK, including the EIF, St Magnus, Fife (the Scottish bias isn't intentional, they're just the ones that came to mind first), & others. At least it meant that good, and interesting, performances weren't missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
          put some seats in the arena.
          Or take the seats out of the stalls, giving them a retro football stadium terracing feel. Should help Nige feel at home

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            Or take the seats out of the stalls, giving them a retro football stadium terracing feel. Should help Nige feel at home
            Oh yes! I like that. We could then all do a Mexican Wave to Bolero

Comment

This year's special moment for me was the Ring cycle. For those four concerts, it genuinely did not feel like the Proms at all. We were transported through sound to the world of the Ring.

Comment

A bit more Sullivan next year would be welcomed by me. I enjoyed the Ring this year, what I heard of it. I felt I was getting somewhere with Wagner.

Comment

Working...
                X