Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proms

I've just had notification from the RAH that the season announcement will be at 2 pm tomorrow, when the Prospectus goes on sale.

One piece of good news is that booking online for season tickets and weekend passes starts on the 16th May at 9.00 am, a day earlier than general tickets, which should make life a little easier for those of us who only require the one season pass. As usual, they are asking customers to construct a Proms Plan in advance, although this didn't seem to be particularly useful last year.

I bought a copy in Foyles at the South Bank Centre last evening - some nifty stuff

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      I bought a copy in Foyles at the South Bank Centre last evening - some nifty stuff
      Oh do tell, you big tease!

Comment

Originally posted by mrbouffant View Post
        Oh do tell, you big tease!
        I was rather taken with European Union Youth Orchestra/Bychkov Shostakovich symphony no. 4, f'rinstance
        Last edited by Guest; 23-04-14, 14:02. Reason: name of orchestra

Comment

Several questions, Amateur51:

1) Isn't there an embargo? If so, how come it was on sale at Foyles?

2) How much does it cost this year?

I would have said, be wary of Bychkov, after the disatrous Tristan und Isolde I suffered through last year, but having heard his way with Beethoven 7 and the OAE on the wireless recently, maybe it'll be alright o'the night.

--

As a general caveat emptor to the Forum, I'd also be wary of the soi-disant 'best seat available' option: I supposedly had this for the above-mentioned performance, paying top dollar to be seated behind the singers.
          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            ECO/Bychkov Shostakovich symphony no. 4, f'rinstance
            I was about to say, "ECO? shurely shome mishtake?", but maybe (i) the Orchestra is bigging itself up for the evening; or (ii) it's a hitherto-obscure chamber orchestra version of a symphony which usually requires 100+ players. SB is usually reliable in DSCH and, pace Throppers's Tristan, his War Requiem last year was very good indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
              Several questions, Amateur51:

1) Isn't there an embargo? If so, how come it was on sale at Foyles?

2) How much does it cost this year?

I would have said, be wary of Bychkov, after the disatrous Tristan und Isolde I suffered through last year, but having heard his way with Beethoven 7 and the OAE on the wireless recently, maybe it'll be alright o'the night.
              I have no idea about an embargo & I wasn't about to engage in the Spanish Inquisition at Foyles.

It was £6.50 which I think is cheekily expensive BUT it does come with a nifty wallchart summary listing which will be very useful, I'm sure.

I've encountered Semyon Bychkov several times in the concert hall and at Royal Academy of Music and to my ears he is an outstanding musician which is why I've highlighted this concert.
              Last edited by Guest; 23-04-14, 13:57. Reason: trypo

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                I was about to say, "ECO? shurely shome mishtake?", but maybe (i) the Orchestra is bigging itself up for the evening; or (ii) it's a hitherto-obscure chamber orchestra version of a symphony which usually requires 100+ players. SB is usually reliable in DSCH and, pace Throppers's Tristan, his War Requiem last year was very good indeed.
                My bad, HD - it's the European Union Youth Orchestra.

Later in the season Bychkov is conducting R Strauss Elektra too.

Bychkov's Proms Verdi Requiem was wonderful

Comment

It is embargoed at Waterstones. Hmph.

Comment

Not embargoed at my local independent bookshop either.
                    Hurrah!

See comment about to be posted on Beethoven Symphony 2 thread!
                    Last edited by Pulcinella; 23-04-14, 15:56. Reason: Poor spacing might have given wrong impression about what the hurrah referred to!

Comment

Am slightly alarmed ams if that is the most exciting concert you can find !

Comment

Any Mozart symphonies this year ?

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          Am slightly alarmed ams if that is the most exciting concert you can find !
                          I've only dipped into it, fear thee not but after 'witnessing' Shostakovich symphony no.4 with LSO under Haitink fairly recently I'm keen to experience more, hence my making it a priority

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            Any Mozart symphonies this year ?
                            Nos. 1 (BBCSSO/Stenz) and 40 (Aurora Orch/Collon)

Comment

Any sign of a continuation of the RVW symphonic cycle? (we had 1,2 last year and 4,5,6 the year before...)

Comment

Working...
                              X