Forum calendar: 2014 Proms (+ EIF concerts on R3)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum calendar: 2014 Proms (+ EIF concerts on R3)

I've completed population of the Forum Calendar with the details of this summer's Proms. For convenience, you can jump as follows:

July: http://www.for3.org/forums/calendar....&year=2014&c=1

August: http://www.for3.org/forums/calendar....&year=2014&c=1

September: http://www.for3.org/forums/calendar....&year=2014&c=1

It's not a simple 'copy and paste' for each entry, as I've added my own touches and presented the core information from the BBC Proms page entries in my own way. For example:

1. The estimated running times for each work are omitted. Also, I generally don't reproduce the BBC Proms concert titles in the Forum calendar titles that are immediately visible, except where I judged it particularly appropriate (e.g. 'Brahms Night', 'Roman Holiday').

2. With a very few exceptions, the works in each half are bundled with no blank lines in between. A blank line implicitly represents the interval, and then the second half works are given. (One exception is Prom Saturday Matinee 1, where the reason for blank lines between each composer is because Gluck has 3 short works represented in a bunch, so that it looked nicer, IMHO, to present each composer separately with blank lines in between.)

3. Unlike last year, I have included the term "Proms debut artist" this year, in keeping with the BBC Proms entries. However, I have made one correction, in Prom 15, where the Proms debut artist is Ingrid Fliter, not Josep Pons. In addition, I've added the term "Proms debut ensemble" to all the orchestras which are new to The Proms this year. In several cases, the corresponding conductor also turns out to be a "Proms debut artist".

4. Where appropriate, after cross-checking in the Proms Archive, I have added the phrase "first performance at The Proms" next to works where this is indeed the case. This is one of my own additions that is not on the BBC Proms official entries. Of course, where the work is not receiving its European, UK, or world premiere, it's obviously a given that this is the first Proms performance as well. It turns out that there are quite a few surprise Proms premieres tucked away in Proms where you might not expect them, like the War Horse Prom, some of the songs in the Alice Coote & Julius Drake recital, and even two Mozart works. For two of the Richard Strauss operas and Kiss Me, Kate, I've written "first complete performance at The Proms", since those works have presented selections, but obviously until this summer, never the entire work.

5. I've also fleshed out a few details here and there, again as personal touches, such as naming the musicians of Time for Three individually and, for two of the Richard Strauss operas, giving credit to "Richard Strauss and Hugo von Hofmannstahl", not just Strauss.

6. There are still a few information gaps, like the cast of Kiss Me, Kate, and the speakers for Facade and Henry V. I've put "TBA" lines there, and will update those when I see the information on the official Proms calendar entries.

As well, besides the Proms entries, I have included concert information on the 13 Edinburgh Festival 11 AM matinee concerts at The Queen's Hall that will be broadcast live on R3 in August. This is not all of the EIF matinees, but it's more than a fair chunk. Links to the EIF page listings for those concerts are provided. My EIF entries do not follow the EIF format at all, but are more in line with the Proms entries. (There are quite a few choice programs among those matinees, actually.)

Where there are multiple concerts on a given day, I've created the entries such that the morning concerts are at the top of each day, and progress through the day, which is especially notable where there are 3 Proms in one day, or an EIF concert and two Proms. (However, as an FYI, in order to do this, you have to enter the concerts on a given day with the last concert first, i.e. in reverse order.)

No doubt, changes will occur because artists cancel, and then musical works get switched in and out as a result. As the time gets closer, and during the season, I'll continue to monitor the official Proms calendar for such changes, and update the Forum calendar appropriately. (In all honesty, though, I expect that most people will understandably go to the official BBC Proms calendar listings first before coming here.)

PS: BTW, even though I'm an American, don't panic about spelling, i.e. I use "programme" rather than "program" .

Update to Forum calendar: reciters for PCM 8 for Facade are now in the calendar, c/o information in the latest issue of BBC Music Magazine that I got. (The Proms' own website is not yet updated, even if the picture shown for one of the reciters is correct.)
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 21-06-14, 20:33.

Comment

A thing of beauty and a joy for ever blueser
      Last edited by antongould; 21-06-14, 21:41.

Comment

Thanks very much, bsp - enormously appreciated.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Many thanks - I've incorporated the info into the blog.

One thing I noticed - I think there's a typo on 6th September - 'PCM04' should read 'PSM04'.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
            One thing I noticed - I think there's a typo on 6th September - 'PCM04' should read 'PSM04'.
            Good catch. Thanks, Andrew; correction made. Of course, the other factor I didn't mention on eventual corrections was simple human error on BSP's part .

To give the BBC Proms page and organizers credit, there are some additional corrections on the official website that I've now incorporated into the Forum calendar. Some are quite minor, like concert running time adjustments (Proms 27 and 52). But others are more substantial:

Prom 28: change of violin soloist (to an electric violin soloist) and concerto
            Prom 49: program order change (before and after the interval)
            Prom 54: change of ensemble

Will keep on the lookout for more changes.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post

To give the BBC Proms page and organizers credit, there are some additional corrections on the official website that I've now incorporated into the Forum calendar. Some are quite minor, like concert running time adjustments (Proms 27 and 52). But others are more substantial:

Prom 28: change of violin soloist (to an electric violin soloist) and concerto
              Prom 49: program order change (before and after the interval)
              Prom 54: change of ensemble

Will keep on the lookout for more changes.

Thanks for that - I'll try to keep the blog aligned!

Comment

Update to Prom 12 now in the Forum calendar, a change of tenor soloist in the JSB St. John Passion. Benjamin Hulett has replaced Andrew Kennedy.

Comment

Further updates to the Forum calendar, from updated information from the official Proms calendar, for others to update their listings also:

Prom 15: slight change of title to Jonathan Dove work
                  Prom 30: singer added, Gregory Porter
                  Prom 45: ensemble added, ElectricVocals

Comment

Thanks as always blueser

Comment

Newest update to the Forum calendar, a partial cast announcement for Kiss Me, Kate, interestingly, w/o the usual suspects (e.g. Julian Ovenden, Anna-Jane Casey). Makes me wonder whom they'll line up as the gangsters for "Brush Up Your Shakespeare" . PCM 1 is also updated with details of the Rameau works from EA's concert thread.

On the less fun side, it will be interesting to see what shakes out with Prom 4 (World Orchestra for Peace), given the cancellation at the Aix-en-Provence festival the day after their scheduled Prom.
                      Last edited by bluestateprommer; 15-07-14, 16:57.

Comment

Many thanks once again for the updates: I'll try to get the blog and printable aligned by Friday!

Comment

Newest updates to the Forum calendar before the season officially launches in less than 30 minutes:

1. Prom 3, Sport Prom: list of 4 special guests added (Anna Watkins et al.)
                          2. Prom 8, Pet Shop Boys Prom: further artists (Juliet Stevenson, Chrissie Hynde) added (thanks to EA's concert thread for alerting me on this)

Still waiting to sweat some more details (narrator for Henry V, full cast of Kiss Me, Kate), but that will be icing on the cake. The cake is pretty much set to go now.

Comment

I expect I'll be joining many, any minute now, who will start on R3 and switch to BBC2, thus enjoying the first bit twice....but without the frisson of live performance. Must dash.

Comment

Forum calendar updated for Rosenkavalier tonight, to reflect last-minute cast changes (change of Ochs & Sophie) and clarification of actual stage director (Sarah Fahie, not Richard Jones).

Comment

Working...
                              X