Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proms: Which Seats?

A friend of mine is offering to treat me and Mrs. T (and himself) to tickets for Mahler 9, and says money is no object.

As I'm preparing my Proms planner, I thought it timely to start a thread on seats. Last year, I sat in the side stalls for Mahler 2 and thought the sound excellent, with wonderful views of the orchestra and conductor.

If you had the choice, which seats would you plump for? Promming is not an option.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
    A friend of mine is offering to treat me and Mrs. T (and himself) to tickets for Mahler 9, and says money is no object.

As I'm preparing my Proms planner, I thought it timely to start a thread on seats. Last year, I sat in the side stalls for Mahler 2 and thought the sound excellent, with wonderful views of the orchestra and conductor.

If you had the choice, which seats would you plump for? Promming is not an option.
    Go in the gallery and sit on the floor. Best of both worlds. Take yer favourite cushion to park yerself on, tix a fiver, and no corporates to ruin things.

Plus great banter in the Q's.

Well, maybe not great banter.....but banter....perhaps.....

Edit: Hope that all helps, BTW.

Last year queuing for that Mahler, a nice young man sitting on the steps of the Bulgarian Embassy waiting to meet his GF inadvertently found himself in possession of a potentially valuable spot in the Q, which he gallantly gave up for nothing. It was a good deed in a dog eat cat world.....

Edit: as for seats, I'm pretty sure they run competitions on chocolate bar wrappers. Well worth a try. !! I am currently expecting to win a campervan from a well known yogurt manufacturer......
    Last edited by teamsaint; 07-05-14, 20:16.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Undoubtedly 'O' Stalls. It's a source of annual irritation to me that you cannot say on the Planner which side stalls you want. In the old days of sending in the booking form by post I used to staple a little note to the form saying "'O' Stalls preferred please" and they nearly always obliged.

I've often told the story on here of when I was at a Gergiev/World Orchestra of Peace Prom performance of the Shostakovich Leningrad seated almost in the cellos and double basses in the front row of 'O' stalls on the stage. At the first movement thundering climax with Gergiev seemingly pointing straight at me to cue in the lower strings I experienced an incredible moment of 'lift off', like being in the middle of a terrifying whirlwind. Quite extraordinary.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Since it's Mahler, I think the best place to sit is in the park. You'll hear most of it & can crunch as much popcorn as you like

Comment

Promming is not an option.
          You can sit in the arena. Wouldn't see much though.

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            Being 5' 2'' I can see damn all if I stand!
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              The stewards still ask us all to stand just before the concert starts, and often ask us to move forward even when the Arena is not crowded, However, they are not the minor despots that they used to be, and you can usually stay put, without any argument. I don't like standing near the rail.

I've tried seats on occasion, but there's no doubt in my mind that mid Arena has the best sound in the house, sometimes the crowd soaks up the strings a bit, but for Mahler it will be ideal. Thropple, I sincerely hope you find a good seat. You won't see me down below standing patiently, most Mahler is not my cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Being 5' 2'' I can see damn all if I stand!
                I'm 6'00" and still find myself dwarfed by some of today's young giants in the Arena, but usually we are able to gently slide smaller people forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                  I'm 6'00" and still find myself dwarfed by some of today's young giants in the Arena
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    The gentleman said young giants, Caliban

"il a des idées audessus de sa gare!"

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      The gentleman said young giants, Caliban

"il a des idées audessus de sa gare!"
                      Gentleman? I usually just get 'Ere You! '

Comment

I've posted this link from The Guardian before on this topic, but it's worth trotting out, from someone who knows better than me generally, namely Michael Berkeley:

I rejoice at the news that the Royal Festival Hall is to have its dry acoustics made more Rubenesque.

"Under no circumstances should you sit directly opposite the stage (at 12 o'clock if the stage is at six) unless sheltering from Mahler or Bruckner at their most bombastic. This, believe it or not, is where the BBC has most of its hospitality boxes and the music comes at you as though through a telescope held the wrong way round. It is simply too far away.

You need to be quite near the stage, at, say, four or eight o'clock. I would recommend a stalls seat on the aisle of block H1 (my favourites are H8 27 or 28) or its counterpart on the other side of the hall, M1. This is where you will find most of the critics, as well as composers when their work is being premiered."

Comment

Thanks for that, BSP.
                          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

If it's televised, avoid the side stalls. They use a boom camera which is so distracting - and the 9th needs much concentration I think.

Comment

If you had the choice, which seats would you plump for?

This vexed question was the subject of discussion a couple of years back, triggered by my unfortunate experience recorded here:

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              What a bizarre place the RAH is, acoustically-speaking.

Unusually, I was sitting in the stalls, 4th row back at about 5 o'clock (if the organ and the bust of HW are at 12).

From there, I unfortunately found it impossible to enjoy the Elgar. The strings sounded as if they were playing on the other side of the street. Any counterpoint and (above all) brass punctuation - some of my favourite bits in this piece which I adore - was ruined by the notes coming back from the upper balconies and gallery at around 7 o'clock, reverberating into my left ear about ½ second after they came from the stage - it all sounded smudged, like a badly printed photo. It was impossible to become involved in the performance

The Howells was a completely different matter! Somehow the intimate music and the loud choral sounds both came across fine (perhaps because the loud bits sound blurred anyway)

Salymap continued the discussion from here http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...979#post199979 and there are several comments in the ensuing thread.

I'd disagree with Michael Berkeley cited above - I think front stalls at ten to/past or a quarter to/past is optimum.
                              Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 14-05-14, 00:02.
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X