Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proms - Performances from the archive

The other night I was listening to Kocsis playing the three Bagatelles (BB50) and my mind went back to a prom given in the late 80s (possibly 88/89) in which the performer on the night played these as an encore; and, as such, was my introduction to these entrancing pieces. However, for the life of me, I have not been able to recall who it was - Donohoe? Ranki? As such, I would be grateful to any forumite who can enlighten me and, perhaps, remind me of the rest of that night's programme.

That's quite a shot in the dark, with very little to go on. It's possible to trawl through archives to find out who was performing, but unless you have an idea of the rest of the programme, it's going to be difficult to find out.

Comment

Good stuffs, mercs!

The thought that has popped into my mind looking at these appearances is just how shamefully underused both these wonderful pianists have been by the Proms organisers over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        That's quite a shot in the dark, with very little to go on.
        I know. I hoped that someone out there might have had a similar damascene moment. The proms archive gives details of the main programme, but not a hint of any encores. Whoever it was played all three of the bagatelles; the announcer (possibly a young Martin Handley) announced that he "hoped he had called it correctly". At the time, I remember being astounded by such breadth of knowledge; nowadays I'd just think that they'd asked the pianist what their encores were going to be.

Comment

I'm impressed that you can remember what an announcer said 26 years ago

Comment

Well, here it is. Les Introuvables re-discovered.
            OK, not a Prom, nor the Bagatelles (memory plays tricks) but here for your delectation, I bring you the one and only from 1989 (yes, I was right about something):

The other items in the recital FAWMBI: the Schubert G major Sonata and Prokofiev Sonata No.4; as well as Schumann's Nachtstücke.
            Mme V has reminded me that we heard the same recital at Chichester Cathedral (albeit with La Vallee des Cloches as the encore).

Comment

Nowadays the announcer would be telling us how marvellous that was and inviting us to tweet our views !

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                OK, not a Prom, nor the Bagatelles (memory plays tricks)
                Cracking stuff. Richter groupies, were you?

Should I change the thread title...?
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Cracking stuff. Richter groupies, were you?
                  I always remember his appearance on stage, like an undertaker preparing to remove a particularly distasteful corpse - but, my, what playing! The Schubert fullly justified the Schumann's encomium about heavenly length, though some might have thought moderato tempo, a trifle stretched out...

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Should I change the thread title...?
                  Under the circumstances, might make sense. Perhaps wherever the "Musical Questions" thread resides would be as good a place as any!

Comment

Working...
                  X