Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chailly cancels Proms

Riccardo Chailly has broken his arm in a fall and has cancelled his two appearances with the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra at the Proms. His place is being taken by Alan Gilbert.

This is deeply disappointing news and is the second time that Chailly has been thwarted from giving us Mahler 3 at the Proms. A previous outing scheduled with the Concertgebouw was cancelled due to a shoulder injury. I was really looking forward to both of these Proms.

What views on Alan Gilbert anyone? Never seen nor heard him so a completely unknown quantity for me. I only really know that he is chief at the New York Phil but what's he like in Mahler and Beethoven?

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Oh dear. That's sad news.

I saw Gilbert with the New York Phil. in their city. I wasn't bowled over. I suspect he's a 'safe pair of hands' until the next Bernstein comes along.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      …What views on Alan Gilbert anyone? Never seen nor heard him so a completely unknown quantity for me...
      Me too. But consider, this was the position people were in when Beecham pulled out of Elgar 2 and this young Anglo-Italian named Barbirolli stepped in...

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        Me too. But consider, this was the position people were in when Beecham pulled out of Elgar 2 and this young Anglo-Italian named Barbirolli stepped in...
        Judging by his Nielsen he is no Barbirolli !!!

Comment

Alan Gilbert
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Wondering now whether to off load my tickets.

Comment

What views on Alan Gilbert anyone? Never seen nor heard him so a completely unknown quantity for me. I only really know that he is chief at the New York Phil but what's he like in Mahler and Beethoven?
              Heard him conduct Mahler 7 (Orch Nat de Lyon) in Cardiff in 2005 - a lacklustre concert but dispiriting for conductor and orchestra as the hall was less than half full. Wouldn't go out of my way (e.g. to London ) to hear him again.....

Comment

A significant difference between Gilbert and Chailly. I have not seen Gilbert conduct but agree with the posts. His appointment was a bit of surprise to me. I expected someone with more experience and gravitas in the musical world.

Comment

"Chailly cancels Proms"

Do you work for the Sun or the Express as a sensationalist headline writer?

The BBC Proms are still going ahead this year.

Chailly hasn't even cancelled his own two Proms, just withdrawn and been replaced.

Comment

Surely the Leipzig are the Leipzig.

Comment

I suppose the LGO needed someone for a whole tour ? I have not checked their website to see if they are on a tour rather than just coming to the Proms .

Comment

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                        "Chailly cancels Proms"

Do you work for the Sun or the Express as a sensationalist headline writer?

The BBC Proms are still going ahead this year.

Chailly hasn't even cancelled his own two Proms, just withdrawn and been replaced.

Comment

I suspect Mr Petrushka was simply lifting the headline from the Norman Lebrecht article cited.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                            I suspect Mr Petrushka was simply lifting the headline from the Norman Lebrecht article cited.
                            Something like that, yes. I resisted the impulse to indulge myself in a response to HG. Life's too short.

I already have my tickets for these two concerts and am now in a quandary as to whether to go or not. Rail travel and hotel costs will not be negligible and then there are the days off work that I could save. I've given up on Proms in similar circumstances but I'll decide on this nearer the time.

Comment

Petrushka to cancel Proms?

Comment

Working...
                              X