Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queue Watch 2014

I know some folks worry about what time to get to the RAH in order to get their preferred, or indeed any place in the Arena or Gallery, especially for day tickets.
    So here is the place to post what time you got there, what place you had in the queue, did you get that all important view of the principal horn, or whatever
    Also, anything else of tangential interest, like who you met on the steps of the Bulgarian embassy.

Ok, who's first?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

First person I saw on Friday night was...

Roger Wright!

He was waiting outside Door 1 and got accosted by one or two people. He did the usual 'leave me alone' thing by reaching for his mobile phone.

Second person spotted (getting out of a taxi) was composer Anthony Payne.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      First person I saw on Friday night was...

Roger Wright!

He was waiting outside Door 1 and got accosted by one or two people. He did the usual 'leave me alone' thing by reaching for his mobile phone.

Second person spotted (getting out of a taxi) was composer Anthony Payne.
      I wonder if he's thinking of having a go at that Last Judgement thingy.
      Did you enjoy The Kingdom Pet?,looked and sounded great on the telly.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        I know some folks worry about what time to get to the RAH in order to get their preferred, or indeed any place in the Arena or Gallery, especially for day tickets.
        So here is the place to post what time you got there, what place you had in the queue, did you get that all important view of the principal horn, or whatever
        Also, anything else of tangential interest, like who you met on the steps of the Bulgarian embassy.

Ok, who's first?
        ts, be a good sport. If you get in the line, save a place for me, I hate queuing, too impatient.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          I wonder if he's thinking of having a go at that Last Judgement thingy.
          Did you enjoy The Kingdom Pet?,looked and sounded great on the telly.
          I nearly asked him that! Decided not to in the end as I don't like bothering the well-known when they are having a private evening. I met Payne once before in 1998 at an Elgar 3 pre-Prom talk.

Yes, enjoyed The Kingdom but am back much too late to add my twopenceworth when I can't add much to what has been said already.

Must watch the TV recording to see if I can spot myself in the audience. Row three 'O' stalls, almost in the orchestra.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            ts, be a good sport. If you get in the line, save a place for me, I hate queuing, too impatient.
            IIRC, that would break Proms queuing regulation 137, subsection 2, para 4, and would result in a unison " heave Ho " as we were both sent packing down the A4 till we had learned to behave like civilised human beings.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

IIRC, that would break Proms queuing regulation 137, subsection 2, para 4, and would result in a unison " heave Ho " as we were both sent packing down the A4 till we had learned to behave like civilised human beings.
              Bloody EU - it poisons everything

Comment

Too right!
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

In the days before I aspired to leave the hoi polloi behind me in the Day Queue and join the elite in the Arena Seasons, it was not uncommon for somebody from the office to arrive and save space for half a dozen friends. Naturally this caused much resentment among us groundlings, and those nice little raffle tickets were introduced to mark places in the line. This has lead to much more civilised conduct, and it even applies to those of us with more exalted status on the opposite side of the steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                    In the days before I aspired to leave the hoi polloi behind me in the Day Queue and join the elite in the Arena Seasons, it was not uncommon for somebody from the office to arrive and save space for half a dozen friends. Naturally this caused much resentment among us groundlings, and those nice little raffle tickets were introduced to mark places in the line. This has lead to much more civilised conduct, and it even applies to those of us with more exalted status on the opposite side of the steps.
                    Only in UK would punters put up with such a byzantine system, surely.

Comment

Or in Istanbul.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        Only in UK would punters put up with such a byzantine system, surely.
                        Well, it's not so much to ask in exchange for £5 and a good concert.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          ...something which neither you nor I could manage I suspect, french frank :whistle

The price is fine, it's the arcane complexity of 'the queuing rules' that I was wittering about

Why, they're almost as bad as cricket ... oh I understand now!

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Have the touts yet caught on the idea of buying up such cloakroom tickets from early queuers to sell at a premium to late-comers? Indeed, does anyone here know of a case or cases of indigents queuing early precisely to acquire such cloakroom tickets for profit?

Comment

Perhaps predictably, Teamsaint's fine idea to create a useful thread has been met with thirteen useless replies. At least no one has yet complained of coughing in the queue.

Comment

Working...
                              X