Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programmes on line

A few seasons ago the BBC made available the printed Prom programme on line. Then it stopped. I seem to remember there was some corporate guff about finding a better solution or some such, but here we are with no programmes available. Or have I missed something? For I really miss ready access to the programme notes and biographies of the performers for radio listening, either live or on the blessed iplayer.

Originally posted by mlb7171 View Post
    A few seasons ago the BBC made available the printed Prom programme on line. Then it stopped. I seem to remember there was some corporate guff about finding a better solution or some such, but here we are with no programmes available. Or have I missed something? For I really miss ready access to the programme notes and biographies of the performers for radio listening, either live or on the blessed iplayer.
    Hello, mlb. I think this was brought up by someone else. And certainly on Radio 3's 'Digital Proms' blog, where it received no response. Presumably the sales of programmes dropped.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I had not imagined that anyone actually attending would rely on the download... I was asking for the radio audience - the licence payers! I suppose a lack of response elsewhere indicates lack of interest so, with that, I will lapse into silence on this topic.

Comment

A good idea for home listeners, but this could encourage even more flickering screens in the audience. Already it seems as if at least half of the audience has to have a photo taken in their seats, as well as a shot of a distant group of performers. According to the programme photography is banned.............!

Comment

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
          According to the programme photography is banned.............!
          And according to the announcements over the PA - what's the point of concert-going if they are deaf?

Comment

I had not imagined that anyone actually attending would rely on the download... I was asking for the radio audience - the licence payers! I suppose a lack of response elsewhere indicates lack of interest so, with that, I will lapse into silence on this topic.
            Feel free to lapse into silence if you wish, but I found the online programme notes very useful for reading up on the information - and regardless of whether I was intending to listen to the concert (I don't always ) on R3.

I really wanted to underline the fact that Radio 3 had been publicly asked about it and, in line with their interactive policy, had taken no notice.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
              And according to the announcements over the PA - what's the point of concert-going if they are deaf?
              Don't ask! The wrath of Paul Whittaker will descend on you! (See e.g. http://www.royalalberthall.com/ticke....aspx?id=16132).

Comment

5against4 received an email about this question last year

We have been unable to find a technology solution that allows the programme notes to be viewed on all devices. The take-up for our online programmes was low and the process we have been using was very time-consuming. We have therefore decided to focus our resources elsewhere. We have increased our digital publishing offering this season, releasing versions of the Proms Guide both for Kindle and iPad and publishing a free iPad digital supplement, the BBC Proms Companion 2013. We will continue to build on our digital publishing strategy in the future. We understand that, as a user of the online programme notes, this is disappointing, but hope that you will enjoy the 2013 season nonetheless

Last edited by mercia; 31-07-14, 18:17.

Comment

So, if you have Kindle or iPad ...

Comment

I wonder what the "Proms Companion", as opposed to the "Proms Guide", was.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      I wonder what the "Proms Companion", as opposed to the "Proms Guide", was.
                      Whatever, it must have had a low take-up as I can't see any sign of one for 2014.

Comment

Working...
                      X