Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Televised Proms

I see BBC Four have gone down the same old route as last year as regards Proms broadcasts. It's bad enough that the TV broadcasts are all over the shop compared to the actual dates the concerts happened, but now they start removing items from the programme. Last Friday, they televised Mozart and Ravel. A new work by Jonathan Dove also happened at that same concert, but did they televise that? NO! How are we supposed to be challenged and embrace the current trends in music when they don't get a fair airing? It sickens me! Absolutely sickens me!

Also, while I'm on rant mode, no matter how much they try to convince us otherwise, the Pet Shop Boys, Paloma Faith et al are NOT classical, and never will be. There are plenty of pop festivals for these guys to practice their fine craft, but keep them away from our beloved Festival. It's like trying to force a square into a triangle-shaped hole. It. Won't. Fit.

Originally posted by maestro267 View Post
    Also, while I'm on rant mode, no matter how much they try to convince us otherwise, the Pet Shop Boys, Paloma Faith et al are NOT classical, and never will be. There are plenty of pop festivals for these guys to practice their fine craft, but keep them away from our beloved Festival. It's like trying to force a square into a triangle-shaped hole. It. Won't. Fit.

Comment

I see BBC Four have gone down the same old route as last year as regards Proms broadcasts. It's bad enough that the TV broadcasts are all over the shop compared to the actual dates the concerts happened, but now they start removing items from the programme. Last Friday, they televised Mozart and Ravel. A new work by Jonathan Dove also happened at that same concert, but did they televise that? NO! How are we supposed to be challenged and embrace the current trends in music when they don't get a fair airing? It sickens me! Absolutely sickens me!

Amen to all that.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I'm assuming you feel the same about last nights malarkey ?

Comment

I see BBC Four have gone down the same old route as last year as regards Proms broadcasts. It's bad enough that the TV broadcasts are all over the shop compared to the actual dates the concerts happened, but now they start removing items from the programme. Last Friday, they televised Mozart and Ravel. A new work by Jonathan Dove also happened at that same concert, but did they televise that?
          And, as last year, I believe there will be a separate programme for 'new' works. But given everything that was on BBC Two is gradually being eased over to BBC Four, who knows? perhaps the new works will only be available on a BBC DVD, price £18.99, rather than on television ...
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

There's nothing about a special programme of 'new' works in the list of televised Proms.

The missing Dove work is listed in the Radio Times for BBC Four, along with the Mozart and Ravel. I was expecting it. If I were Jonathan Dove I'd be very cross indeed.

Comment

It reminds me of a few years ago when they tried starting the evening concerts at 7pm. The impression is that they just want it out of the way as quickly and conveniently as possible with minimum disruption to their schedule. This is achieved by the early start and by dispensing with the interval (and, if the whim takes them, whole works, as with the Dove).

It is a bizarre process by which a concert performed on a Thursday is renamed "The Sunday Prom" and then broadcast at the same as the actual Sunday Prom is taking place in the Hall and on the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                There's nothing about a special programme of 'new' works in the list of televised Proms.
                I thought I read that somewhere - though not that the recording would be televised during the Proms.

Last year I emailed the BBC coordinator for classical music to ask about the new policy of editing out the new works. I received a prompt acknowledgement (not an AutoReply) - to which I responded that I hoped I would also be getting a reply to the query. I didn't. The coordinator has now left the BBC for an east coast destination.

However, there is another coordinator for all music: the Director of Music. He replied personally very promptly to my query about music on television for children, so perhaps it's worth enquiring. He can be contacted at bob.shennan at bbc &c.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  The coordinator has now left the BBC for an east coast destination.
                  such as Seahouses or Rhode Island?

Comment

Re above: I may have misunderstood. The Media Centre press release says that on BBC Four:

"20 July – 7 September – weekly transmission pattern of Proms - BBC Four is the home of classical music on television and once again has curated its Proms into a weekly pattern of Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays. Thursday Proms will explore classical Masterworks with Tom Service, Friday Proms will feature popular classical highlights and Sunday Proms will be presented by Katie Derham and look at Proms firsts including artist debuts, new music and events."

When people said works had been cut out, I took that to mean that the new music would be covered, like last year, separately. New music discussed by Katie Derham ... mirabile dictu (or horribile dictu).

Still, worth asking.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      such as Seahouses ... ?
                      Bit further south!

Comment

Bit further south!
                        Brighton?

Comment

the BBC coordinator for classical music has now left the BBC for an east coast destination.
                          Producing for Alan Partridge?

"...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Producing for Alan Partridge?

Welcome back mr Pee

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Brighton?

Comment

Working...
                              X