Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is this woman?

I've been wondering for several months now, who is she?

What is she doing and why is she doing it?

I think we get your message I did check who it was but have forgotten. Was it someone in Kiss Me Kate?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Second guess: is it Paloma Faith? If so, she may be doing it because that's how she performs.

(Third guess: Clemency Burton-Hill - no explanation)
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Second guess: is it Paloma Faith? If so, she may be doing it because that's how she performs.
        The furore over her appearing on the Radio Times Proms pull-out cover prompted me to find out who she was and she looked like this.

Comment

Someone ought to do a spoof of that photograph with the poses of Paloma and the conductor reversed!

Comment

Originally posted by Blotto View Post
            I've been wondering for several months now, who is she?
            You mean you don't know her from Adam?

Comment

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
              The furore over her appearing on the Radio Times Proms pull-out cover prompted me to find out who she was and she looked like this.
              It prompted me to throw my Proms guide away (well put it in the recycling) so I've been flying blind since then.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                You mean you don't know her from Adam?
                Maybe that is Adam. This is 2014 you know.

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                It prompted me to throw my Proms guide away (well put it in the recycling) so I've been flying blind since then.
                Yes I chucked the one here too; previous years' have graced the smallest room for - ahem - regular consultation

Online guides only this year.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Just read this line of reasoning: "If those who would otherwise never attend a classical music festival are encouraged to come and enjoy a pop or musical theatre concert, they may then take the next step and enjoy a classical concert too."

It really would seem a more solid argument if evidence were provided that 'they' (who? how many?) did in fact do so. And especially considering the high profile and mega-publicity given to the pop performers (Rufus Wainwright is pictured in the Ariel story) by the BBC as well as the press (Joey and Paloma in this publicity photo).

Comment

Perhaps she's giving (or taking) lessons in "reeling, writhing & fainting in coils"

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      I think we get your message I did check who it was but have forgotten. Was it someone in Kiss Me Kate?
                      I did wonder if I made the point clearly enough but you're a sharp bunch and I should have had more confidence.

But I was serious about the question. In that context, what is she doing? Why didn't they go the whole hog and just drape her over a tuba?

It's extraordinarily awful and a little reprehensible, I felt.

Comment

Why didn't they go the whole hog and just drape her over a tuba?
                        Or vice versa....

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Oh for heaven's sake darlings, it's Paloma Faith in an extremely typical pose - her style has always been one of exaggerated, often vaudeville or burlesque-derived, glamour and she often plays on that and sends herself up in the photo-opportunity poses she strikes. Draping over pianos or tubas or fast cars is par for the course with the gorgeous Paloma.

I'm no fan of Pop Go The Proms, but Paloma's here because she's been invited by those who should know better but lost their musical & cultural nerve some time ago... so don't shoot this glamorous messenger, She's only doing her job!

Comment

Slightly baffled by the unpleasant tone of this thread. She's not quite my style but I don't feel the need to sneer at her, especially before her Proms performance has even taken place. She was quite good value on the Graham Norton Show and is certainly no fool.

Comment

But I was serious about the question. In that context, what is she doing? Why didn't they go the whole hog and just drape her over a tuba?
                              The word 'vamp' came to mind, which Wkipedia tells me is a synonym for 'femme fatale'. She seems to have been (or is) a comedy actress as well as (another) songer-songwriter.

Comment

Working...
                              X