Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proms repeats on Radio 3

Seems odd to me that the afternoon repeats come to a screaming halt at the end of this week - the last one is Friday, which is the 26 August Budapest Brahms 3 & 4 Prom. Has this always been the case? I would have thought they'd have used the Proms resource for another 2 weeks of an afternoon - why totally close the door on the Proms just because the Last Night's happened?

I guess they'll all surface again at Christmas or on TTN. But still....
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Yes, this has happened before - and it's BONKERS!

And the Christmas repeats tend to be concerts that have already had an afternoon re-broadcast!

No doubt this is the express view of the majority of listeners who tweeted in (two out of three) and anyone ridiculous enough to want the Proms broadcasts to continue after the Proms season has finished is a self-appointed elitist wanting every broadcast to reflect his/her own tastes, regardless of the fact that it's the twenty-first century and times have changed, haven't we noticed, and we can all "Listen Again" if we want to, which isn't true of the Season afternoon repeats because they're mid-season, see, so that's different.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Perhaps the object is to bring the festival to a close with a bang on the Last Night, rather than have it trickling on afterwards? Will the unrepeated concerts be available for the usual 30 days from transmission?

Comment

It happens every year. As ferny says:-

it's BONKERS!

Comment

Originally posted by Blotto View Post
          Perhaps the object is to bring the festival to a close with a bang on the Last Night, rather than have it trickling on afterwards? Will the unrepeated concerts be available for the usual 30 days from transmission?
          I'd very much hope that this is the case. I've been revisiting most of the broadcasts and am currently on Prom 44 - (Strauss, Mozart and Nielsen 5) Plenty still to look forward to ( cross fingers )

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

I think they must be avilable, Teviot. For example, the Maxwell Davies concert from this Monday night (it looks as if PMD is on-stage with the band from the photos) is 'Available for 4 weeks'.

By the way, when I accidentally started it going, I found his 2013 Concert Overture 'Ebb of Winter' has a rather approachable and tuneful sound to my unfamiliar ear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p026ccrg

Comment

Ferney certainly in pole position for "sentence of the day " at the moment.

His thoughts do throw up the idea of elitists being external appointments, which is an oddly appealing thought.

"Elitist wanted. Must have own criteria".

Anywaythe repeat business is bonkers, as is usual at the BBC.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                And the Christmas repeats tend to be concerts that have already had an afternoon re-broadcast!
                And if past precedent is anything to go by, will include Kiss Me Kate &c, carefully selected from the 76 concerts available ...
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Will the unrepeated concerts be available for the usual 30 days from transmission?
                  That's a point, I suppose - scheduled repeats are less crucial now since everything is repeatable at will ('on demand'). Still, it is bonkers to deny afternoon repeats to Proms 54 - 76 inclusive, when they were thought a good idea for Proms 1 - 53
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Isn't the afternoon repeat itself a relatively recent event? I don't remember it always happening and thought it had become routine as a schedule filler.

I have a hazy recollection, by the way, of noticing out-of-season Proms repeats during Through the Night, in the past. Am I imagining it?

Comment

Isn't the afternoon repeat itself a relatively recent event? I don't remember it always happening and thought it had become routine as a schedule filler.

I have a hazy recollection, by the way, of noticing out-of-season Proms repeats during Through the Night, in the past. Am I imagining it?
                      I think it's quite recent too. And, yes, there have been repeats of individual works on TTN - I don't remember them as complete concerts though.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

There's a repeat of Proms Chamber Music 8 on Sunday, 14th September (the day after the Proms finish), but there don't appear to be any further repeats after this.

They could at least be consistently bonkers in their "planning".

Comment

But bang goes the theory of ending the season with a bang.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            I think it's quite recent too. And, yes, there have been repeats of individual works on TTN - I don't remember them as complete concerts though.
                            Not quite, as I recall vividly re-listening to some of the concerts being broadcast a couple of days after the live-Prom during an afternoon as long back as 2006.
                            TtN the last 2 or 3 years seem to have two periods in which they broadcast (parts of) the most recent Proms-season: around Christmas and New Year and in the weeks before the new season starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              They could at least be consistently bonkers in their "planning".
                              "Consistently bonkers" rather sums up the old, pre-Birt BBC I remember so fondly.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X