• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 Promenaders' Musical Charities collection

This year's collection will be split between:

Help Musicians UK (No 228089) ie the Musicians' Benevolent Fund
    CLIC Sargent (No 1107328)
    Radford Trust (No 313775) - a Cornish-based charity providing instruments to students
    Royal Society of Musicians (No 208879)

After the Last Night, the collection stands at a record £93,400! Donations recived in foreign currencies are still to be processed, so this will rise a little. The previous record was £91,488 in 2010. The disbursement of the monies will be decided at a trustees' meeting in October, the definitive final total will be announced at the same time.

Donations since the introduction of the current collecting arrangements in 2001 have now passed the £1 million mark.

Thanks to all who have donated.

That's absolutely brilliant, and it continues year after year.

Comment

Congratulations to all involved, David. £93,400 is an extraordinary sum.

Is this all collected from the door of the Albert Hall at the end of the evening Proms or is it being collected at other times and venues, too?

I just got my pencil out and my foggy brain averages the collections at £1,600 per day. What a windfall to your beneficiaries!

Comment

A fantastic effort by the PMC/Promenaders, David.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

All on the doors at main or matinee Proms in the RAH (there is no collection after late nights), there are no collections at Cadogan.

A separate collection is taken along the queues towards the carnations and prommers' gifts that are presented on the Last Night, any surplus from that is added to the main collection. In effect, that's how the whole collection started, the year after Sargent's death there was a collection for carnations in his memory, with the surplus donated to what was then Sargent Cancer Care for Children and MBF, and it's gradually snowballed from there.

Comment

Excellent work indeed; congrats also from this side of the pond. Will be interesting when the year comes that the PMC breaks the £100K mark. I noticed that several of the BBC Proms broadcast hosts this season put in a good word for the PMC and the running announcements, so they also appreciate what you guys do.

Comment

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
              This year's collection will be split between:

Help Musicians UK (No 228089) ie the Musicians' Benevolent Fund
              CLIC Sargent (No 1107328)
              Radford Trust (No 313775) - a Cornish-based charity providing instruments to students
              Royal Society of Musicians (No 208879)

After the Last Night, the collection stands at a record £93,400! Donations recived in foreign currencies are still to be processed, so this will rise a little. The previous record was £91,488 in 2010. The disbursement of the monies will be decided at a trustees' meeting in October, the definitive final total will be announced at the same time.

Donations since the introduction of the current collecting arrangements in 2001 have now passed the £1 million mark.

Thanks to all who have donated.
              A great achievement to set a new record this year and to get to over a £1 million since 2001 - heartiest congrats all round

Comment

And my bit to CLIC Sargent sent through my contacts who, like me, can't get to the RAH.

Well done everyone.

Comment

David,

I missed the last few nights in the Arena, so I missed those interval announcements, it must have been quite a boost in the last week.

Tremendous congratulations to you and all the team, se you all next year!

Ferret

Comment

Working...
                  X