• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proms Chamber Music 1 - 21.07.14: Les Arts Florissants - Rameau

Monday, 21 July
    1.00 pm – c 2.00pm
    Cadogan Hall

Leading period-instrument ensemble Les Arts Florissants launches the Proms Chamber Music series with the first of its two Proms appearances marking 250 years since the death of Jean-Philippe Rameau. France's leading Baroque composer, whom some have called the 'French Bach', proved more progressive than Lully, more virtuosic than Couperin. This lunchtime Les Arts Florissants appears on an intimate scale, performing Rameau's only chamber music - the lively and virtuosic Pièces de clavecin en concerts. With movements named after people, places and moods, each is a miniature character study, an evocative musical portrait.

Rameau: Premier concert : La Coulicam, La Livri - Rondeau gracieux, Le Vézinet
    Rameau: Deuxième concert : La Laborde, La Boucon, L'Agaçante, Premier Menuet et Deuxième Menuet
    Rameau: Troisième concert : La Lapoplinière, La Timide, Premier Tambourin et Deuxième Tambourin en Rondeau
    Rameau: Quatrième concert : La Pantomime, L'Indiscrète, La Rameau
    Rameau: Cinquième concert : La Forqueray, La Cupis, La Marais

Les Arts Florissants
    Paolo Zanzu (harpsichord/director).
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 14-07-14, 20:42.

"France's leading baroque composer"? He wasn't entirely baroque. And such a statement is a little provocative.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      "France's leading baroque composer"? He wasn't entirely baroque. And such a statement is a little provocative.
      Born two years before Bach, died seven years after Handel - in what way not "entirely Baroque". But I do agree that the statement is accurate even without the word "Baroque".
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Rameau was a vociferous challenger of the Enlightenment, yet his later music actually aided the push towards the new style. That's why I suggest he wasn't entirely baroque.

Comment

- they're probably going by dates rather than aesthetics.

By the way - has anybody ever heard Rameau being called "the French Bach" by anyone? First time I've heard this phrase.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Rameau was a vociferous challenger of the Enlightenment, yet his later music actually aided the push towards the new style. That's why I suggest he wasn't entirely baroque.
            ..which applies to Telemann too, btw.

Comment

The Proms start today at 1.00pm (for me)

Re: the French Bach. R3 website is rather odd these days to put it politely.
              Last edited by doversoul1; 21-07-14, 08:49.

Comment

There's what I think is a superb article by Ivan Hewett in the Telegraph today, nicely summing up Rameau's life and music, and discussing why he feels Rameau is less well known and liked than others. Perhaps some of us who find the French Baroque not entirely "à notre goût" will give Rameau another try!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...-heard-of.html

Comment

It didn’t sound quite the definitive Les Arts Florissants, especially at the beginning, but I thought it was a very good programme for a concert like this which probably had many Rameau or French baroque first timers in the audience.

I look forward very much to the next PCM (CPE Bach played by Rachel Podger and Friends)

Lento
                  Thank you for the link. I wish they had chosen a different photograph. I really do not wish to be reminded of that production.

Comment

Managed to catch up with this on a the here today gone.......iplayer and listened a couple of times. Totally agree with doversoul after a shaky start a very enjoyable concert IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                    X